Seatbelts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammed72

Reaction score
Hi guys, just need a bit of advice.

My seatbelts are crispy and look buggered and I want some new ones. I'd love some lap belts but will my 1971 bus fail its MOT if I have lap belts fitted or must I have 3 point belts ??

AFAIK at that age lap belts are legal. It just isn't worth doing. A steering wheel in the rib cage hurts.

I removed my old ratty belts and installed inertia reel 3 point ones for a semblance of safety should the worst happen
Got mine from Heritage if I remember rightly

https://www.vwheritage.com/bay-bus/bay-bus-1968-79-interior/seatbelts#page=0&top=1&

Was a straightforward job with all the fixtures and fitting included and makes us both feel a little more secure when driving

Found this on another website when I was searching. Info was taken from RoSPA:

It becomes compulsory to fit seat belts in the front of cars built in Europe.
New cars in the UK must be fitted with front seat belts by law. Great Britain requires 3-points in front outboard positions.
Great Britain requires retrofit of 3-point belts in front of newer cars.

Sadly it looks like the splitscreen crew get away with it and unless you drive a very very early bay, it's against the law for us lot. Might invalidate your insurance too if you have an accident. But when did that stop us modifying our buses :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts