Security Devices

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm trying to get insurance for the van that will hopefully arive in the next couple of weeks. One of the questions is about additional security. All I have is 37 year old locks which doesn't seem to impress very much, especially when I say I'm going to leave it on the drive.

For obvious reasons I'm not asking about the security of your van, but what addtional security would be worth considering?

Thanks

Baldrick said:
Hi all

I'm trying to get insurance for the van that will hopefully arive in the next couple of weeks. One of the questions is about additional security. All I have is 37 year old locks which doesn't seem to impress very much, especially when I say I'm going to leave it on the drive.

For obvious reasons I'm not asking about the security of your van, but what addtional security would be worth considering?

Thanks

If you are looking for a reduction in insurance then I guess an "approved" alarm/immobiliser/tracker/wheel clamp/etc will be required on the other hand there are a number of much simpler mods that can be made if you want to try to ensure it doesnt walk off without you....
such as removing easily accessible components so that it wont run, fitting a kill switch, fitting a cheap mobile with power supply that has tracking enabled etc
But at the end of the day if someone wants it enough they will probably get round all the above anyway :cry:

I have a fuel cut-off solenoid fitted, and use a wheel clamp.
At the moment though, as I was informed at Oktoberfest while locking my bus, mine would be way down the list of desirable vans. :lol:

If you get a CAT 2 immobiliser fitted to your van, your insurance premium dips considerably - by about the same cost as installing one. I got mine from Covert Alarms, cost about £150 to fit and knocked off £100 off the insurance. Obviously after year 2 you've made your money back.

olance said:
If you get a CAT 2 immobiliser fitted to your van, your insurance premium dips considerably - by about the same cost as installing one. I got mine from Covert Alarms, cost about £150 to fit and knocked off £100 off the insurance. Obviously after year 2 you've made your money back.

My insurance is less than £100 though :shock:

Still worth it I suppose for peace of mind and adding the extra complexity for the thief ;)

Mine is outside in the work car park at the moment.....and I haven't even locked it :D

Off to do it now - in the old days I used to just remove the rotor arm if I was leaving my car on the drive/outside for any time - but don't think they'll lower your insurance for that :roll: - as above, my insurance is only £170 ish so don't think it would drop by much more with immobiliser e.t.c. (though it's garaged so this would drop it in the first instance) - but as long as it's CAT approved and on their list they should take it into account

Latest posts