• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

September 67 Westfalia Weekender for sale - £15k ono

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14475

Reaction score
1968 model Westfalia Weekender for sale, with full MOT and UK registration. The vehicle is a very nice example of an early LHD bus, built in September 1967 and therefore early in the Bay Window production run.

The bus has been treated to a repaint in the original L87 Pearl White to offer protection from the British elements and has only had a replacement battery tray and correct cab floor sections in terms of welding. All seals have been replaced with high quality Wolfsburg West parts sourced in the US and shipped with the bus.

I have tried to preserve the integrity of the original interior and have only replaced parts that are beyond repair. The original ply roof panels are in place, along with the original Westfalia interior, with the exception of the sink unit. I have replaced the floor with Mad Matz checker tiles and the side ply panels are from Rackhams with clear lacquer finish. The cab seats have been restored and recovered with original quality Wolfsburg West seat pads and covers. I can help to source a 1968 sink unit if required.

The dash area is uncut and in fabulous condition. All of the clocks, gauges and lights work(!) and I have sourced an OEM Motorola Sapphire radio which can be supplied to retain originality.

Engine and tinwear has been serviced and all engine seals replaced, with a full service to prepare for trouble free motoring. Preparation for UK motoring has included replacement headlights, rewiring of the indicators to UK standards (utilising the reverse lenses, which allows the retention of the original US spec rear light lenses).

Mechanically, the van has had new ball joints, track rods, brake shoes and brake master cylinder, preparing for a further 45 years of trouble free motoring. Replacement clutch friction plate has been installed. The original wide 5 wheels have been media blasted and powder coated in white and the vehicle has been Waxoyled to protect the underside from British road conditions.

This camper was personally imported from California by me in January 2012 and retains the original one-year only 1968 features such as door handles, cargo net, rear view mirror and window wipers. Over the last 16 months it has been treated to a sympathetic restoration, faithful to the original factory standards.

The bus has some cool history and the original service book shows that the vehicle was collected in person from the Hannover factory as part of the tourist collection programme. It was quite common for US forces staff serving in Germany to collect US spec buses direct from the factory and ship them home to the states. The service book has some early stamps from Nuremberg, Baden-Baden, Priem am Chiemsee, Nussdorf and Rome, showing that the vehicle saw quite a bit of Europe in 1967 and 1968!

The first US Service stamp is logged in Oakland with 17844 miles on the clock in December 1968.
I have the Birth Certificate for the bus from Wolfsburg showing the full original specification and evidencing the age and history.

I had planned to enjoy the bus this summer, but due to circumstances, I cannot now keep both this bus and my 72 poptop Westy. The ‘72 is more practical for my family, therefore regrettably the 68 is for sale, with a full MOT and age related “E” registration. To be honest, this bus is more fun to drive than the ’68 and given the choice, this is the one I would keep.

Lots more photos to follow when it stops raining!

Asking price is £15000 ono and is located in South Norfolk.

Latest posts