Sharing my frustrations

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least he can go as far as the motorcycle tank takes him :?

I haven't lost all confidence in the van yet, i'm still hoping we can figure this out.
Although it's a new overhauled carb i'm thinking it's either this or the ignition, but we'll hopefully find that out tommorow.
I'm taking a spare carb with me this time.

And yes, I have an external oil coller fitted, but not with a fan. I'm always keeping an eye on the temp of the oil, but it not nearly runs too hot. And it also happens on hot and colder days.

Hope you get this sorted. :?

I read a thread somewhere about the plastic connector pipe on the oil bath filter to the carb getting hot and deforming when the engine was under load and this resulted in the air intake to the carb being restricted.

If its still a problem you could try posting some pics which may give someone on here a clue as to what's wrong.

Thanks Mike, I will check the connector pipe, but we will be taking that off anyway tomorrow when the problem occurs because we want to see if the accelerator pump in the carb sprays fuel into the carb when we pump it. If it doesn't this means that the carb gets fuel from the pump but doesn't actually let any fuel through.

I'm bringing a coil, OG stock carb, leads, rotor, cap, OG 009 distributor, spare fuel, etc. And we are installing a cable before we leave to short out the ignition as they are known to get too hot sometimes. I'm sure we'll be at least able to pinpoint the problem tomorrow and hopefully we can solve it there and then and for good.

Posting pics will not help, there is nothing odd to see.

Good luck with finding the problem - I spent 18 months with an intermittent problem with stalling, turned out to be the pipe on the back of the servo letting in air when I braked! :roll: - but see that yours is a '68 so assume no servo?

Also had a random issue that was related to a leaking windscreen allowing water to trickle into the fusebox and collect in the bottom of the relays that caused merry hell with the electrics when I went up/down hill :lol:

Frustrating and hope you get to the problem on the run - when you do fix it, total confidence in the state of your bus due to everything being sorted! Best of Luck!

Today we went to pick up that diesel engine. It was a 140 mile round trip. Of course the van ran like a dream and didn't miss a single beat. So we couldn't diagnose the problem, but we are pretty sure that the carb freezes. The carb and intake had lots of condensation on them even after a short trip. It also feels very cold.

I discovered that the different manifolds out there have different diameter pre heat tubes. My tubes are 20mm but there are also manifolds with 24mm tubes. So I'm switching the 24mm manifold from my recently purchased Type 181 Trekker.
I'm also going to change the Bosch blue coil for another one. The coil gets very hot so we don't trust it.

Latest posts