Shifters

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

Do the current EMPI and SCAT bus shifters both reduce the throw by the same %?

Is one type of shifter more positive/effective than the other?

Any thoughts/advice/opinons?

Cheers,

Mike

not sure about the % but both cracking shifters.
never been a fan of the scat one but thats just cos of the looks, both are a massive improvement over stock. empi one is a fair bit cheaper than the scat but i belive the scat is made a little better.
dont forget the new CSP ones, they are uber sweet!

either way a new shifter changes the way you drive your bus, end of. best thing i ever bought (though not been out with the new tiwns on yet...)

I have an empi btw

Man! I am liking those CSP shifters a lot!

22045.jpg

Approx £150 + p&p

http://www.csp-shifter.com/shifter.php?wkid=80372216261&sprache=en&shop=shop_jobber_eng

I've got an Empi, and it is great. Dunno the saving of shift distance but it is considerable. I enjoy the way it is a beautiful sharp "H" pattern and the click as it comes out of reverse is a sweet sound too.
The old shifter was very sloppy in comparison and is now living a new life as the handle on my Radio Flyer

We've got a Scat shifter and what an amazing improvement it has made to the drive ability of the van, the revs hardly drop between each gear change so the preformance through the gears is vastly improved.

Probably a dumb question but...

Would a Berg LHD t-handle shifter be compatible in a RHD bus?

I guess the only disadvantage would be that the button which allows reverse gear selection would be next to your little finger rather than your thumb?

Cheers,

Mike

The lefty shifter would fir in the right hander no probs, but you are correct that the button would be on the wrong side.
My mate who has the V6 supercharged twincab has the one with the little Tbar that you lift for reverse. that is good too.
Mine is a little awkward as I think it is designed for leftys as well. You have to lift the ring with your index finger then push away. i have tried it from the passenger seat and it is perfect. Trouble is it is hard to steer from that side!

If you want to use a LHD Berg shifter in RHD either loosen the 2 grub/set screws and move the handle to the other side 180' or buy the correct handle from Bergs. Note also that Berg bus shifters are handed LHD OR RHD -except some universal (straight) ones supplied to B Newbury)- ie. they will angle towards the driver. These shifters will last you a lifetime, and should you break a cable in 10 years time, Berg does repair this. Try that with another supplier!

alikat said:
If you want to use a LHD Berg shifter in RHD either loosen the 2 grub/set screws and move the handle to the other side 180' or buy the correct handle from Bergs. Note also that Berg bus shifters are handed LHD OR RHD -except some universal (straight) ones supplied to B Newbury)- ie. they will angle towards the driver. These shifters will last you a lifetime, and should you break a cable in 10 years time, Berg does repair this. Try that with another supplier!

Sounds like you know your stuff, thanks. Pity it also sounds like an ad!

No problems, but if you are advertising, I would prefer it was up front. if you just know your stuff then thanks for the info.
There are enough forums that have advertisers as contributors, but don't admit to it.
David

Latest posts