Side cover and support channel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chenzo

Reaction score
I'm cutting full size windows in to the side of the van and have just the right hand rear one to go, the small window that is already fitted had rust around the lower edge, so to have a better look i have removed the side cover (non door side) and can now see that there is a lot more rust than i had hoped for.

IMG_2009.jpg

so it looks like the support channel will need replacing and there is also a couple of holes in the side panel just above the channel, hopefully you can see them in the photos.

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

it looks like the support channel is spot welded on? is that right? it has bowed out slightly so looks like there could be a lot more corrosion underneath.

I am going to have to do some welding at the top of the existing window hole as it is slightly too large vertically, i managed this quite well on the over side, but there wasn't the same issue with the rust on the left.

anyone done repairs in this area? i'm not too worried about the support channel, more about repairing the side panel underneath. I am doing this on my drive, so don't have any cover/weather protection, and not keen on cutting lots of metal out to leave it exposed to the elements.

I'll probably get the support channel and side cover from schofields, unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Help!!

Correct - there's a spot weld in each gap and sometimes a tack at the ends. Worth removing and fixing the panel as you say.

how about the side of though van though, anyone know if that panel is available? looks like it might be difficult to fabricate my own as it has a joggle on the lower edge.

can't see it in the schofield catalogue, but haven't looked online yet.

As far as I'm aware, no it's not available. To make that part, Busjunkie and I once made a monster joggler with 2 pairs of overlapping heavy angle and used g-clamps to make it in one piece nice and straight. We only used it once but it worked ok. That was for a panel conversion but it's the same step. If you try and seam weld a patch right along there you'll likely buckle the panel above so I'd be tempted to see if it'll "go again" with some TLC.

Oops my bad - I see you're cutting in full size windows so cancel the buckling warning.:)

I had to do this on the sliding door side.
P6080596.jpg

Then cut all the crap out and replaced with a panel from Schofields as well as j channels

P7090664.jpg

P7140670.jpg

so i'll get the j channel from schofields and clean up and patch the side panel best i can,

when i refit the side cover, does it get a fillet of filler to fill the gap and stop water getting in?

Latest posts