Single and twin ports??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araon

Reaction score
Right guys and gals: want a quick run down on the differences between single and twin port 1600s'. :?: :?
Basically I got an engine without checking as a project. :wink:

Oh and think I'm about to loose my jewels when she catches sight of it. :shock:

Help please....

Single port/twin port refers to the inlet manifold and cylinder heads, a twin port having two inlet tracts rather than a single one. Difficult to say which one is best, it depends on your needs. Simplified, a single port engine tends to last forever but is a steady plodder, whereas a twin port has a bit more power and is easier to 'upgrade' for more power still. Generally speaking the more power you try to extract the more reliability suffers.

this is a good technical site: http://www.vw-resource.com

http://www.vw-resource.com/intake_manifold.html

Thought thats all there was to it, just needed to confirm it, cheers Johnny, not a proud man so anyone else got any input most welcome :D

Single ports are easier to change the spark plugs on in an early bay as the fat TP manifold ends don't get in the way.

Well the SP arrived today I'll take a pic of it later this pig has sat for 7 years and not moved :lol:
I'm looking forward to bringing life to this baby :D
I'm not looking forward to the moment my missus spies it :evil:

Although Ive got a twin port in my bus at the moment , I must admit I like the old SP , they may not perform as well as the TP, but they dont suffer from heads cracking between the valves and the Pict 30 carb is alot easier to tune. I think this was the engine that established VW engines for reliability. Just personal views you understand . :)

Thank you Chrisby.. I must admit I am looking forward to the chalenge of resurecting this thing (if it can be :? ).

I think it deserves another chance :D

I know what you mean about the head cracking my 1303 S had just that problem minute didnt notice it when it was off polished it up beautifully reseated the valves new collets springs etc put it back in and what a piece of crap, took it off again and there it was barely visible (only for the collection of new crap in the crack that I spotted it.

engine.jpg
[/img]

Well here she is there was a little progress last nite "at work".

Theres no end float and shes as free as a bird, was expecting it to be seized.

the exhaust has been scrapped as its well and truely rotten as is a lot of the tin and the dynamo. Not suprising after 7 years sat in a a back yard facing the elements..

Most of the bolt threads are easy and not siezed excepting a couple of rounded heads....

Continue stripping her tonite and get her in the parafin tank for a long soak.

The big question will she live again :?: Begining to feel like Dr Frankenstein here.

Any one recieved an engine recently with all the blanking plugs fitted I would really love them if there going spare :?:

its pretty amazing it hasnt seized after sitting that long, i would have taken one look at all that rust and run, but i guess its just surface rust.

thats a serious project fella. good luck. You are a much braver man than I! 8)

I'll hide it from her who must be obeyed until its atleast I've got the rust off the main items and binned the dross...

Otherwise i'll be sleeping in the shed :lol:

OK.. a little progress now Ive got all the rot off but need to replace the fooked exhaust and inlet studs how the hell do i get the old ones out when theres cock all thread on them..

with a stud extractor something like this...

http://www.altecweb.com/home.asp?cat=SubcategoryHeavy+Duty+Stud+Extractor

http://www.altecweb.com/home.asp?cat=Subcategory5+Piece+Screw+Extractor+Set

Araon said:
engine.jpg
[/img]

Any one recieved an engine recently with all the blanking plugs fitted I would really love them if there going spare :?:

I've just purchased a SP 1600 engine which was purchase brand new from VW to go in a kit car. The car was never completed and the engine has never run (stood for at least 4 years), still had bungs in spark plug holes etc. when i purchased it. Hoping to put in van this weekend - i took the bungs out when i got the engine home will try and find the bungs for you.

Good luck with the engine.

Cheers tintop :wink:

Yeah I have a set of those kicking around somewhere, was hoping to try and get something a kin to the head stud self gripping extractors but for the life of me I cant find em anywhere....Saves having to cut em down and drill em...Cheers anyway Johnny

Johnny I am an arse and I owe you an appology the item im after is indeed on that very page just below the main item cheers

Latest posts