Single cab truck Part 2

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is going to be an extension to Part 1 posted by dagboyblue.

Just a quick update for now.. having driven the truck from Stu's place over to Bristol, we proceeded on a few things. The main thing was getting a cover made by south59 off volkszone, this has really changed the look of the truck. I also got the roofrack that Stu supplied blasted and powdercoated so it looks great on the roof now and really sets off the full height canvas.

DSC04563s.jpg

We've also sorted some other smaller things. I got a new set of locks made (cab doors and locker door) on a new cut-to-code key by Robin at Custom and Commercial. This new, unworn key is too new to operate the ignition barrel though! So I will need to send that off to Robin at some point to be refreshed. Had to soak the locking mechanisms inside the doors in oil for a while to free them up but now they operate smoothly :) just need to readjust the latches so they are bang on.

In fitting the new lock to the locker door, also sorted the problem with it not catching the latch right, so now it closes nice and securely and opens only with the key :)

We have moved from Bristol to Ponthir (near Newport, S.Wales) and this truck was so handy in making the move! Mind you, since Stu had it lowered, with all the weight in the back the exhaust was munching the floor on every bounce on the way back.. the exhaust is wearing a little thin!

But we have a new addition soon to be installed in this truck:

DSC04572s.jpg

A 1000-mile 2110cc type 1 bought from Alancabriolet, not quite running right but hopefully just needs a tune, and this will give us some much needed power in this truck!

Think that's it for now, thought you guys might like to see an update on what happened to this truck.

Rich

Yeah can't wait! The 1600 is out now, cleaning up the engine bay ready for the 2110 :D

I do have more pics on the canvas, I'll sort some out shortly. Its a custom jobbie since we got Stu (different Stu) to put the windows in.

DSC04207s.jpg

DSC04209s.jpg

DSC04213s.jpg

DSC04214s.jpg

The canvas gets very tight when wet, and its loose when dry!
The detail around the front drop gate hook is replicated from the original VW one (as I understand it), but the one around the rear drop gate hook is custom, we asked Stu to put that in for us. As well as the windows with the roll down covers inside. Its really a great canvas, and highly practical!

The hoops and bows were also made by Stu and purchased before we got this truck. All in all he's done a pretty good job!

Looks good :D
I made mine the same height as the cab roof but when I see yours I maybe think it would of been more practical to have the extra height.
You gonna go camping in the back of it then?

Well you probably get better fuel economy... I certainly felt the extra drag when we added the canvas.
Will probably sleep in the back on overnighters, but we got it to have more space for camping gear, so the plan is to stock it up with tent and all the gear.. surfboards fit in the back too which is nice! :)

Fantastic work with the van and that engine looks a peach :mrgreen:

Hope so! I was hoping not to have to mod the engine support bar, but looks like it will be impossible to get this oil line out of the pump as it is, so watch this space for a hopefully smooth mod. Plan is to cut the left bolt hole out (flat horizontal) and replace it with a 90 degree angle, essential moving the bolt hole right up next to the case. Then the path is clear for the oil line to come out straight, which is good!

Wondering if anyone else with a pickup has mounted an external oil cooler, and where did you put it? I'm reluctant to site ours underneath the truck as I don't want to catch it on anything (beach car parks, camping..)

Cheers guys! Yeah the canvas is cool, Stu did a good job with it.

So the engine fired up yesterday, sounded like it wasn't running too badly. We think its just that the carbs are not balanced, so hopefully a bit of tweaking will get this engine running well. It sounds... hmm, loud! Induction from the 44s....

Pics of oil lines etc to come..

Me too.. weird thing though, the plug leads on the distributor were all out of position. Checked, and at TDC the rotor arm was 180 degrees off when no1 cylinder valves were closed (this guide was useful) so figured something in the distributor was off. Taking it off revealed that the bit at the bottom that fits into the groove (name?) was on backwards, so it was throwing the whole distributor out by 180 degrees. Swapped for another distributor and it was all ok.

Oh yeah, then we had awful hassles with getting a spark, and it turned out to be a knackered coil lead, started straight away once that was replaced.

Now we're at the stage of tuning the Weber 44s...

looks good,the cover looks a quality job,

beware water still getting in the load area though,think it gets in mine under the dropgates when travelling,
and as its lower at the front than rear water comes under the rear gate when parked.

yours may be better,but id not put anything absorbant like duvets and pillows till your sure though :D

Thanks for the tips dude, we got this canvas before winter so we've seen the extent of the leaks. Some drips come from the top because the bolt heads rub the canvas, we plan to get rounded coach bolts to solve that issue. Otherwise its actually pretty watertight as far as rain goes :)

I have one concern about the design of the canvas though; at the front of the load area, there are leather straps to hold the cover on, these are on an extra inner flap of canvas so that the outer, main canvas sits over the lip.. this should allow water to run into the narrow gutter section just behind the rear window. However, the canvas frequently comes away here when driving. I think a solution would be to stitch a bit of stiff wire into that part, so that once it is seated right, the wind etc couldn't cause it to move.

So, that and the coach bolts and I think we should have a completely watertight canvas.

I have noticed that it gets a lot tighter when wet, Stu allowed for this with extra canvas so when its bone dry, its pretty loose!

Latest posts