Single Port Tuning

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucram

Reaction score
Hi all

For a while we’ve been debating on buying a new modified engine like a 1641 or 1776 for our 69 South African Bay. But now fancy keeping the original single port and if possible tuning that instead.

So my question to you all is:
What can be done with in reason to tuning our standard old single port motor. Can I fit a better camshaft, larger barrels and pistons and are modified single port heads available or would I have to use my original heads and what carbs are recommended?

We are not wanting max horse power, just something that will cruise better on the motorways without having to stress the old girl at times and to make life easier on the hilly bits.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers.

I think kombiporsche on here used to have a tuned singleport in his panelvan, sure theres a thread somewhere detailing what he had done to it.

http://www.vwracing.net - GAC engines use 1300cc singleport heads for t heir race engines. I guess they would be the best people to port them as they have lots of experience.

I would rebuild the engine with a good counterweighted crank, Engle 100 or Scat C25 cam with the ported heads. A pair of twin carbs of your choice should see a good up on power.

But to be honest, I think I would build a bigger twin port motor & be done with it.

Note. I did drive a 1776 singleport with Kadrons in a split bus with a built gearbox & the acceleration was just stupid!

The only problem I can see is getting that single port heads aren't as efficient as twin ports.

Hi

Thanks for your imput so far. I know it would be better to go for a twin port for power etc, but I thought it would cool to keep it a single port and try and work with what we've got.

Im running a 1600 single port in my 71 cal import westy, its got twin Dell'Orto FRD 34B carbs, Empi inlet manifolds for webers modified to accept them all done by myself for £150, the linkage was a pain in the back side and needs occasional adjustment but it pulls quite well now it just runs out of revs at about 80mph. Could do with a freeway flyer but i dont want the pop top flying off
Wish i'd gone for 1914 with twin port heads and 44 IDFs with a medium cam now but that't cost serious wedge and my roof would be gone

speedwell68 said:
The only problem I can see is getting that single port heads aren't as efficient as twin ports.

True, but provide much better torque in the lower r.p.m. scale.

Latest posts