1641 Twin Port “Big Bore” more power options

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the DustRoom

Reaction score
We’ve just returned from our first outing in the bay and have a few questions re: increasing power. Apologies if this stuff’s been done to death, I’m pretty new to all of this.

The van has a 1641 Twin Port “Big Bore” which was fitted 4 years ago and, according to the history had forged pistons installed shortly thereafter?

It’s running with stock exhaust and single carburettor.

The van will do 70 on the motorway quite easily which is great but when she meets a hill she’s not happy and with the steeper ones 50 is the best she’ll do - she just runs out of steam and if the revs drop she’s a bit of a pain to get going again though I’ve not had to change down.

In and around town it’s fine but again, really seems to struggle with hills which here in Sheffield; we have a lot of.

So... questions...

Will fitting twin Weber carburettors make a big difference here?
Will swapping the exhaust help as well?
If so (for either/both) what should I be looking to acquire to make the van a fair bit easier to drive?

It depends on what your after . Something like twin 34icts will be an improvement and a matching better flowing exhaust will help.
But in my opinion you may do all that and although you may be able to maintain a slightly better speed up hills ect and possibly slightly better fuel economy it's not going to be a "wow" that's really quick factor plus your into getting the twins jetted properly and rolling roaded ect . I changed to twin carbs ect and although was a little better performance and able to maintain a more steady speed I never noticed a huge difference. I am now currently back on a stock solex carb and with it properly tuned it copes ok and I live with it slowing down a bit on hills . The only way to get the "wow" factor is to move up to bigger engines and that's basically an open cheque book time just my view on it [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Bolt on as such I'd say Twin carbs like Weber 36 or 40's and a better flowing exhaust.

If you wanna get a bit more in depth then carbs, exhaust, ported heads & manifolds and a hotter cam like an Engle w100 or w110. But if you go that far you may as well go 1776cc

I drive a dormobile with a 1641 it has twin 34 icts a monza exhaust, Petronix dizzy and iridium plugs, standard wheels and tyres and I sit at 60 on the motorways and it pulls like a train and very rare I loose any speed on hills

Thanks for the info. I know it’s never going to be a rocket ship and I don’t want to go crazy, just make it a bit easier to live with on long journeys.

I’ll swap the exhaust and throw a couple of carbs on it and see how I get on. Anyone know anywhere around Sheffield that can fit and get the engine tuned properly?

There's a place at dinno sorry Dinnington thats near you that's ok can't remember it's name but I and quite a few others in my area use bogg brothers at Malton

Latest posts