SLIDING DOOR LOCK

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickypocket

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice. Since I have owned my 1970 vw (10yrs plus) I have had 2 sliding door locks. Neither has been able to lock from the inside. I have tried the unlock/lock from inside only but no luck. The small white lever only moved a small amount and doesn't 'feel' as though it is engaging anything. Before I blindly started undoing things and poking them I was hoping for a few ideas to try and test. I suddenly have the urge to have a lock that works ! ( fed up putting an arm out of passenger window )
Thanks

cool dude. I look forward to hearing if u sort ur lock ! I was dubious about taking it to bits and knackering it so as it no longer worked on the key

Silly thought, are you pulling the door handle back to fully seat the door, just tried on mine and latch wont move if you havent.

Sorted you have to shut the door then the handle inside has to be lifted up you hear a click the release the handle then little lock switch actualy works to open just flick the little bugger up and door opens only works when door is fully shut

I have tried the pushing up of handle then tried the little switch. I can feel 'movement' but it seems really stiff. So I have squirted in silicone spray then shall try it tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I would love a door that locks from inside !

The handle needs to be pushed upwards to lock the door in place first. If it doesn't do this, then I suspect you will need to do one of two things, possible both

1 adjust the door as per the manual
2 lube the locks, use a graphite lock lube not oil

I had to do both, the main sliding door lock doesn't dismantle too much, but I did take it off, clean and blow graphite inside. Works great now.

Bentley has a really good description on how to adjust the door

I can't remember if it was exactly the same problem I had but it sounds similar.

I took the lock off and looked inside and found one of the lever pivots was seized. Lots of penetrating fluid and carefully working it backwards and forwards gradually released lots of rust and freed it off. Works brilliantly now. Just don't try and force it!

Glad i found this thread, thought my lock was knackered and just anout the take it apart.

Now i know how it works i can lock and unlock from the inside :)

Latest posts