Sliding door retainer 211843742 - easy to remove?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
I just realised our sliding door should latch back into the open position which it presently doesn't, so investigated to find the latch is there but no spring to snap it into place, or rubber buffer.

So i want to get this unit out & fit its proper spring.

From others experience do i need to take off the sliding door guiderail cover, i.e. the painted long piece below the side window, or is it possible to squeeze this unit out leaving all that intact?
I can see two screws at the units front edge, know about the hidden one behind the trim panel next to rear seat, & the bottom screw which holds the guiderail covers front lower mounting point.

I just worry about damaging my covers paint during removal if i can avoid having to take that off.
This picture is the part i'm asking about.
medium_S83002_7857127.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I’ll get the spring and buffer ordered and give it a go.

Naively I remember my families late bays in the 90s latched their doors back, but presumed early bays mustn’t have the feature yet when ours wouldn’t stay put.

I need to do mine as well. This has been on the cards for years but I've not wanted to remove the door on my own.

What exactly do I need to remove other than the two screws.

I know there are two screws you can see at the units front edge.
Then theres one on its underside which secures the front tag of the guiderail cover
Finally i think behind the interior trim panel, next to your rear set/bed (or behind the locker on a westie), there is a hidden screw that goes into the unit at its back face.
I eased my interior trim panel off to spot that, but can't get a tool in without peeling the panel further away or off completely.
Then hopefully slide the unit forward & out.
If you're happy to take off the sliding door guiderail cover it would be easier, but i fear for my paintwork

I need to do mine as well. This has been on the cards for years but I've not wanted to remove the door on my own.

What exactly do I need to remove other than the two screws.
Ditto, I’ve had a bungee strap on mine for several years, about a foot long or so and hooked in the post top and bottom, then when door is open just slip the bungee around the door lock mechanism. Works a treat, so good in fact that I’ve never bothered fixing it properly. My slider cover took a beating recently so it might just be worth sorting. I’ll relegate that to a winter job status.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,then it’ll be too cold :) ;) :)

I know there are two screws you can see at the units front edge.
Then theres one on its underside which secures the front tag of the guiderail cover
Finally i think behind the interior trim panel, next to your rear set/bed (or behind the locker on a westie), there is a hidden screw that goes into the unit at its back face.
I eased my interior trim panel off to spot that, but can't get a tool in without peeling the panel further away or off completely.
Then hopefully slide the unit forward & out.
If you're happy to take off the sliding door guiderail cover it would be easier, but i fear for my paintwork
Would I need to remove the entire cupboard to get to this screw?

Sorry, i dont how involved it would be in westie. I'm not familiar with the lockers build.
I know the screw head is easily visible behind the top front corner of my vans interior panel, so if your locker is hollow backed might be easy to access.

Similar to ozziedog, our dogs leader has been our means of latching the door open.

Job done at the weekend, went smoothly but did end up needing to take the slide rail cover off which came away easy on mine, bit fiddlier to get back on.

Don't have to worry about the door creeping up on me now.

Latest posts