So what mpg are you all getting?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just fix the fuel gauge? Lol

As a rule I don’t really care what I get mpg wise I only worked it out to see how it compares to a stock engine.

About 23/24 mpg on trips around Europe cruising between 60 and 75 mph with a 1776 single 34PICT 3 with 28mm venturi and jetted accordingly. That's including some climbs across the alps. I have the stock transmission so quite high RPMs (and lot's of noise). Longer gearing would get the numbers down a bit, I'm sure. But I'm happy enough considering I have 65% more power than the stock 47hp.

Using my old 1600 with a dodgy valve, I averaged 26mpg over 2000 miles across Europe including over the Pyrenees twice. When that engine was healthy it would do 30mpg on a run.

Rebuilt the 1600 and fitted a 5 speed gearbox, and managed 32mpg on my next Europe trip. :)

Never have and never will work it out.

I just know that fully laden it drinks like a V8, but without the power. [emoji23]

I do understand why others do though.

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently did a 400 mile round trip in mine, mostly motorway and flowing traffic. I was quite happy to see approx 30 mpg.

Pop top Westy, 1600, Twin Dell 36's and stock gearbox.

fallingoffalot said:
It's getting worse! I filled up yesterday before driving down to Slimbridge and found that 47.04L only got me 168miles - that's 16.2mpg!

Did you drive at a normal speed????
Or did you rush home. :lol: :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

Across 3000 miles in a stock 1600TP we've had 30mpg average ... Half those miles done in two one-week A-road tours,
going 50 to 60 ..... the rest done over short runs of 10 to 40 miles in hilly Gloucestershire!

fallingoffalot said:
It's getting worse! I filled up yesterday before driving down to Slimbridge and found that 47.04L only got me 168miles - that's 16.2mpg!

Unless it’s leaking fuel I strongly suggest you get that booked in for a tune up. It will be running so rich it will wash the bores and fuck the engine up.

K@rlos said:

As a rule I don’t really care what I get mpg wise I only worked it out to see how it compares to a stock engine.

interested to know roughly what yours gets - toying with going for more cubes...1745cc right now and will be FI once I get my lazy arse in gear and move the crap out of the garage

thinking 76 x 90.5 or 76 x 94

I think I was getting 25-27 on a run - dual carbs, longer 4th gear

dubdubz said:
K@rlos said:

interested to know roughly what yours gets - toying with going for more cubes...1745cc right now and will be FI once I get my lazy arse in gear and move the crap out of the garage

thinking 76 x 90.5 or 76 x 94

I think I was getting 25-27 on a run - dual carbs, longer 4th gear

I haven’t worked out the actual MPG but I get roughly 220 miles to a tank, that’s a varied mix of town and motorway driving plus I don’t have the lightest right foot lol. But after all it’s a highly strung stroker with twin 48 IDA’s so wasn’t really built with fuel economy in mind. From what I remember it’s very close to the stock 1600 I had years ago expect it’s about 4x more powerful so I’m happy with that.

I don’t know yet, but running a 2332 with 44idf carbs I suspect fuck all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckons you might be right Charlie34 :lol: but I’m guessing, like K@rlos above, economy wasn’t the prime consideration :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,we’re a varied lot int us ;)

Before I fitted IDA’s I had 44’s and the economy wasn’t too bad tbh

Latest posts