Solex 34 pict 3 carb - questions!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwinston72

Reaction score
hi,

What are the signs of the spindles in my carb being worn? it was leaking petrol hence why i took it off and got a rebuild kit but i've been advised on here that the spindles may well be worn and so a rebuild kit won't really sort the problem.

Secondly - would i be able to use spindles from a different carb to repair it with, i have a bocar one and an empi repro one also or will this just make it as useless as them two carbs where?

Apologies if these are daft questions!

I would think the bush would be more likely to be worn as that's what it's designed to do. Take it apart and measure the spindle diameter in a couple of places along it to check it's consistent. The bushes are available on ebay, I did mine as a matter of course when rebuilding the carb (the old bushes looked knackered anyway).

Cheers for the reply, is it relatively straight forward to replace the bushes?

Yeah pretty simple, the old plastic ones are fairly easy to pull out and then the brass ones slide in their place. It was a a little tight but with some gentle persuasion they go in fine :) Just make sure the spindle is cleaned thoroughly as any build up of crap on there can make it stiff

Lovely, i've just ordered a set of brass ones off ebay so hopefully they'll be here in a few days and i can get have a go at it! cheers for your help!

No problem, one thing I found when I did it the first time is lots of photos help! There are very good exploded diagrams available but I took lots of pictures as I went and they helped jogged my memory. Also make sure you get the butterfly back in the right way up! I didn't and had to take it apart again :roll:

is this the same with the solex 31 pict 4? where is the best place to buy a good quality re-build kit?

hobo

i was lead to believe that the rebuild kit held all the gaskets for all the carbs :roll: ?? you just used the ones you needed :shock:

hobo said:
is this the same with the solex 31 pict 4? where is the best place to buy a good quality re-build kit?

hobo

The bushes on ebay are listed as suitable for a 31 pict 4 as well. Any of the usual VW suppliers will have the kit. I don't know if the quality varies but all the ones I have had appear to be the same

Just rebuilt my first ever carb! :D big thanks to the people on here who have replied, and to anyone else thinking of having a go - do it it isn't that bad!

Latest posts