• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sony TC24 Stereo Radio Cassette For Sale (1970s)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fortunate Son

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believed mid to late 70s - quite high end in its day! MW and LW Radio. Cassette drive belt intact but may benefit from a new one (easy change)

Fully working and in Good Condition

£40 posted

Payment by PayPal as gift please or add 4% if using normal PayPal.

Alistair, right here goes,

It fits in from the back (like my Motorola that I have in there at the moment, please excuse the dust!)

Motorola:

The Motorola has a chrome and black 2 piece fascia / cover plate which covers the hole in the dash. It also has a mounting bracket which holds the weight of the unit - bolts to the underneath of the unit with a captive nut / thread. This keeps it reasonably firmly pushed up against the inside of the dash.

The Sony looks like this without cover plate. I reckon the Sony will need a bracket knocking up to take the weight as its a bit deeper than the Motorola and a touch heavier. (I used a couple of timber off cuts to hold it in place in the pic):

And with the Sony plastic fascia plate on:

And with the knobs on:

The Sony black plastic fascia plate only just covers the width of the dash hole.

Not sure if you already have a fascia plate that might be slightly wider with your current radio that you could use again, and fit between the dash and th Sony fascia?

The dimensions of the Sony are:

Overall width of unit = 176mm
Overall height of unit = 48mm
Overall depth of unit = 148mm
Overall depth including knobs = 189mm
Distance between knob spindle centres = 130mm (adjusted to min dist - they will adjust about 8mm out each making the dist between knob centres 146mm. The fascia plate fits as is at 130mm centres but I guess you could elongate the holes if needed)
Width of centre "box" (the bit with the tuner scale / cassette door etc) = 89mm
Height of centre "box" = 39mm
Width of plastic fascia plate = 182mm
Height of plastic fascia plate = 50mm

Not sure if it's of interest but I did find this plastic fascia plate on eBay that is wider (190mm) and 130mm between spindle centres (maybe this was the standard DIN? width? - these were a bit before my time, just!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Spindle-Fit-Radio-Fitting-Fascia-Plate-Classic-Austin-Ford-Morris-MG-Triumph-/191306512358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have seen fascia plate come up fairly often FS at swap meets too.

Hope this helps, any questions give me a shout!

Cheers

Andy

Hi,

To be honest, it doesn't look too bad, this is my current unit

6ade1026af99361c20232c1231e47dc1.jpg

Looks like it should be ok?

Cheers

Alistair

My unit face plate is 186 x 57mm. This is what you see in the picture. Don't know how much "spare" is behind the fascia plate though, ill measure tomorrow

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts