Spring plates don't seem to fit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinhall

Reaction score
Finally tried to fit my transporterhaus adjustable springplates today but they just don't seem to want to slide over the splines. They have the right number of splines (52 on bar and plate), but it's almost like the grooves are a bit 'flat' in the spring plate so don't match the v of the torsion bar splines. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? As always, any help or advice appreciated.

Hi Kev, it does sound like you have the wrong plates for your year of van as they did change them in 71 or 72 ish. Try marking one of the splines with tippex or similar then have another count up. I`ve only done my own but nuffink like a hint of a problem with the splines. The only issue I had was getting the new rubbers in and talc sorted that out for me. Just checkthey`re not hindering the process, maybe even try without them just as a trial.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good lux :mrgreen:

Kev,, Just had an idea. If you was to make a new torsion spring end from play dough or blue tack or anything by stuffing it into the end of your plates then try inserting it in the other plate just to see what the difference is on the bench. Have you also tried sliding the old one back on ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just thoughts :mrgreen:

Thanks for the thoughts Ozzie.

I'll definitely have a crack at making a torsion bar end. Old spring plate slides on easily apart from the last 10mm or so, whereas new one won't go on more than 2 or 3mm. Tried without rubbers and with spring plate the other way round and not playing ball at all.

Does anyone know the difference between early and late torsion bars? I thought it was quite a big difference in terms of number of splines? Mine are definitely 52 +/- 1!

if the spline numbers right and they don't fit I'd be thinking the new spring plate is out of tolerance and contacting t'haus.

So, spoke to Asked at Transporterhaus and he said send them back and he'd have a look. Emailed yesterday to say the plating process looks like it added a bit of extra material to the splines so redone, tested and back in the post. Get them this morning so keeping my fingers crossed they'll fit now.

So the things still don't fit :evil: Don't suppose their's anyone local with a set of torsion bars or a van in pieces that I could try them on??? Long shot I know.

I had trouble with a set of French slammer plates that wouldn't line up so I removed the torsion bars and they went in with a bit of persuasion on the bench and I refitted the torsion bars with the plates attached.

SHIFTY said:
I had trouble with a set of French slammer plates that wouldn't line up so I removed the torsion bars and they went in with a bit of persuasion on the bench and I refitted the torsion bars with the plates attached.

Cheers for the reply shifty. So that is what I have now done. Took a bit of gentle hammering to go on but one side done.

Thanks to all for replies and thoughts.

Latest posts