Starter Motor Issue?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
Van tends to start very well - if you need to push start it, she'll start at walking pace on the first kick...

But starter motor seems to be struggling. Throws no problem, turns engine, but often slows right down - almost sounds as if engine is jamming! - then it will often 'free-up' and spin at the normal speed, starting. It makes a sound like a flattening battery - battery is 100% fine.

Is this the sound of a starter motor slowly giving up? It has been in for quite a few years...

Are there good/better/best options in terms of a new starter motor, or are all the same...?

cheers

Bosch battery new...and a decent strength one aswell. I just replaced the 'old' one (which is also actually pretty new) in order to get more cranking energy/time, but symptoms are the same, hence thought that the starter motor itself is breaking down...

Most probably the bush as froggy says. If its really worn the armature in the starter rubs on the field coil magnets and slows it down. Pull the starter, get the bush out (use a 12mm tap to grip it) and replace with a new one. Lovely job if you like lying upside down with rust and oil raining into your eyes :lol:

Had similar on my bus, but it was intermittent, found that the upper starter motor fixing bolt was loose!! (no nut whatsoever) New nut, tightened up, no problems since!!!!!!!!!

Have a look at the terminals on the starter motor solenoid, a loose terminal will cause high resistance as will a bodly corroded connection

Thanks for the tips guys, will check them all.
I assume the bush issue is that if it is worn/buggered, it causes the starter motor to jam?

Latest posts