Starter Motor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got the starter motor out this morning. The hardest bit is undoing the nut in the engine bay behind the fan shroud. I don't know how I got my arms in there!
The other end is the D shaped bolt head, so it is not too bad once the nut is cracked.
I got a bit of a surprise when I had got the starter cleaned up on the work bench, as the case says made in Bosch made in Germany (wonder why it's in English) but on the business end the drive pinion, it says 'Ind Brasileira'. I hadn't noticed this before. I assume it has been refurbed before with parts from VW Brazil.

I did a test on the bench, using a spare car battery, and the drive pinion shot out but didn't spin.

I'm thinking it's time for a new starter motor, any recomendations out there from anyone?

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2199.jpeg
the bottom post on the solenoid wasa bit loose, which doesn't seem right.

IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2206.jpeg

IMG_2208.jpeg

Without the front of the shaft supported its doubtful it would spin but it should have "grunted" so sounds like its due to be renewed.

the contacts in the solenoid are not possibly not making. put 12v direct on to motor and see if it spins. If not then its the brushes or the commutator etc.

the contacts in the solenoid are not possibly not making. put 12v direct on to motor and see if it spins. If not then its the brushes or the commutator etc.
thanks for the reply. I did that on the bench, and it did not spin although the drive pinion did shoot out, to engage with the fly wheel. but as said above, it may not spin on the bench because the shaft is not being supported as it would be when fitted.

thanks for the reply. I did that on the bench, and it did not spin although the drive pinion did shoot out, to engage with the fly wheel. but as said above, it may not spin on the bench because the shaft is not being supported as it would be when fitted.
If you dab the terminal connected to the braid and if motor good then it will run. It is supported by internal bearings and the spindle is for alignment and support under starting loads. But hold it tight as the torque will make it kick! Check that you can spin by hand too in case it is seized but that is unlikely.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought a Powerlite RAC 525 hi torque starter from Just Kampers. It has a self supporting drive pinion so no need for a new bushing. I may still get the old one refurbed but decided in the end to try a completely new starter.

It is almost a straight swap, the biggest problem for me was that the D bolt doesn't work with this starter so I decided to get an allen head bolt. This is for the top fastener. I got my helpful wife to hold the nut in the engine bay, using an extra long ring spanner, and I tightened the bolt under the bus.

It's actually slightly smaller than the OG Bosch starter, but the electrical connections are a few cm further over but fortunately mine reached ok.

The engine fired up with this so the problem was definitely with the old starter.

259.JPG
IMG_2338.JPEG

I'll put more pics on Monty's thread.

Latest posts