Starter motor?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollatine

Reaction score
My 1971 early bay will not turn over when ignition key is turned. I hear the slightest of clicks on first turn, but apart from that, nothing. Total silence. A friend took a look and thinks the starter motor? We managed to push start it last time too. Battery is fine as all lights and windscreen wipers all going as normal. Should I buy a starter motor and try it?

Could still be the battery. My friends Trekker wouldn't start on the key, but bumped ok. Battery had just enough juice to spark, but not turn the starter over. Most battery places can check the battery for you.

Give the solenoid (smaller cylinder on the side of the starter) a few clouts with a hammer and see if it starts after that.
defo this!

get a strong plastic hammer n give the side of the starter motor a tap while someone turns the key :)

1968~79 VW Type 2s are well-known for "dead starter-motor syndrome", about which there have been several articles in Transporter Talk over the years. Having a hand-cranked starting-handle is a good option, which was a factory-fitted option for some military-specification vehicles. My father had this facility retro-fitted to our 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental.

Latest posts