Steering box swap: easy?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiDev

Reaction score
My steering has more play than I'm comfortable with, I've been underneath when the steering wheel is being turned and the centre pin moves around a little so needs replacing, but I'm sure the steering box is past its best. I've bought a decent used one so want to swap them over, is it straight forward enough, is there anything I should look out for, any tips? All advice appreciated.

Simple as pie if you can get the pitman arm off. If you can't, I've a puller you could borrow :)

Check the condition of the rubber donut on top of the box (input shaft) If it's knackered replace it, get the very best quality that you can.

You'll likely need to get the tracking re-set afterwards, but you can do that yourself with sticks and string. Did that to the bug, tyre wear is still even after 30,000 miles or so (I replaced them a year ago, anyway)

Cheers Hap, do you have to mess around with the column inside or is it all done from underneath?

You just have to undo 2 screws on the input shaft to the rubber doughnut on your steering shaft. 4 if you replace the doughnut. Not difficult.

You might want to replace the drag link first, then the centre pin, and the track rods, you might just be surprised with how much play that removes, I was.

S.

Latest posts