Steering box

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejones's

Reaction score
Getting our bus ready for its 1st use in march/April. I've been looking for a steering box and frond this:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Steering-Box-T2-8-72-79-LHD-New-211415049H_act_shop.product_pID_40531_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will it fit a 69 bus?

Thanks.

My understanding is that you can't get new after market steering boxes for early bays. You can only buy reconditioned ones or you need to get one fabricated.

Search for Radish's gallery/build thread, I'm fairly certain he modified his bus to fit a late bay steering box

Think whatMorville78 said is correct, either have your own overhauled or try doing it yourself,have you called Megabug? i got my recon there ,but that was years ago ,maybe they can advise?

You can always make anything fit it is down to how much fabrication you want to do, but NO these are not designed for an early,

My advice is try Megabug too! :mrgreen:

This firm will rebuild your box..I think its about £180, several peeps on EB have used them, have not heard of any bad feedback
http://www.power-steering.co.uk/power-steering-pumps-racks-boxes/?kw=steering%20box&fl=369445&ci=2075622517&network=s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I sure did fit a late box, it cost £50 and its works great. It took me ages to decide to the mod.

Be careful when you buy a recon box as some just put grease in and the purpose of using oil in a steering box is if any fines start to float around then they sink to the bottom so not to damage the gear.
I called the power steering company and asked what they did to recon them, their answer wasn't great "we take it apart check it and replace with new parts where necessary" I asked what parts they could replace (me knowing you can't buy any) and the guy didn't know.

Look for another box and if you can make one good one from two bad ones your sorted.

I have just fitted one of the steering boxes two a 67 pick up.
The main hole in the chassy needs to be enlarged and two of the four fixing hole bolt holes are wrong.
you also need two change the pitman arm for a late bay one and you need the M24 nut.

As to recon boxes i my self would not buy another earlybay one the last one i had was poor.
Bearings and seals had been replaced but i had to readjust the box but still had lot of play and didn't last .

Latest posts