steering column top bearing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've took my steering column apart to change the ignition housing and indicator switch but now it's stripped the bearing doesn't look right to me.

The bit on the right was fit in the top of the column tube and the bit on the left was sat inside it and then the spring on top (the spring that I've now lost :x )

I would have thought if it was a bearing it would of had some ball bearings or something in it. The bit on the left is just a sloppy fit inside the bit on the right.

I've searched everywhere but I can't find a pic of what an early bay one should look like, only splitty and late bay parts seem available for this.

Also there was some rubber insulating sleeve in there which has disintegrated.

bearing by bluenose1982, on Flickr

Bluebird customs sell a phosphor bronze bush which replaces your knackered top bearing. About 15 quid delivered and a piece of cake to fit. Did mine last summer as it was in pieces when I took the wheel off to sort horn wiring.
http://www.bluebirdcustoms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; very helpful chap. And yes you've lost your balls :shock: :lol:

:lol:

can't find the bush on their website, I emailed them a few days ago but haven't received a reply.

bluenose said:
:lol:

can't find the bush on their website, I emailed them a few days ago but haven't received a reply.
I Googled 'bluebirdcustoms steering bush'

Googling this text should take you to it:
Steering column bush, eliminates play at the steering wheel (an MOT failure)same material as above.
Supplied for both splits and bays
Price £ 15.00 Made in the UK
Product: steering column bush
Product Code: stclbsh

Limited by my lack of tech-savvyness to provide a link :mrgreen:

cheers i'll give him a call.

Does the spring sit directly on the bearing or am I missing another piece?

Sorry can't remember exactly, I did it last year....Bentley manual shows spring on top of support ring on top of bearing.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t203800.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a picture

Latest posts