Steering wheel boss

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

I had an old 3-spoke steering wheel and boss knocking about (from years gone by) so to pass some time this wet weekend I thought I'd try it out to see if it fit on the bus.

The good news is that the previous owner removed the old steering wheel at some point in the past so the wheel came off in a jiffy :)

And... the boss slipped onto the spline fairly easily but it wont sit down far enough in order to put the nut on (the nut does go on about 2 threads) :?

Finally when I turned the wheel it slips on the spline - so the boss is obviously not the right size :(

The wheel mounts to the boss with 6 nuts & bolts and by my estimation (from googling etc) I think it might be a Mountney, but there are no noticeable manufacturer/model information.

Does anybody have an idea what boss/adaptor I would need if I was to use this wheel?

FYI: Our bus is a 71 danbury and the original VW steering wheel has a part number of 211 415 651 D.

Here's a pic of the wheel and boss in situ.

IMG_0424.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

For it's size it's not very wide, but it's girth's quite substantial LOL!

I too would like this question answering as i want to put a different wheel in mine, its a 1970

Nick

Latest posts