Strange Sound

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderfulsound

Reaction score
Hello

The dreaded red generator light stayed red after ignition so checked the belt and it seemed a little loose so I tightened it as instructed in the maunal with the washers. Red G light didn't instantly go off on start up but did go off on 3rd start up. Everything seemed fine.

Then the other day the engine started making an additional smoother wirring sound.
This stopped after I stopped the engine and restarted.
A few days later the Red G light came back on briefly.
The engine is not over heating cos we have the temp gauge in the dashboard.

The wirring sound happened again tonight and the stopped.

As you may hsve guessed i am no mechanic but know a little.
Any ideas?

Cheers Miles

the red light could be a number of things , slack slipping belt,brushes, sticky reg, loose wiring to reg , battery,regulator......as for the whirring start the engine without the belt off for a few seconds .......does it whir ?

if not is there play in the dyanmo shaft ?as the whirring could be caused by buggered bearing?
is the fan catching on the fan housing?

stop the engine are reach round the back of the fan is it tight? is all the fins in place?

let us know how you go on ;)

good luck

chris

How about posting a video of the noise to see if there are any ideas as to what it might be???

If there is nothing physically touching anywhere,I'd be thinking of dynamo/ generator bearings as Chris has said.

buggered bearings can be caused by over tightening of the fan belt :|

chris

the belt was at 4-5mm so we have loosened it to 9-10 mm

hopefully this may be the problem.

many thanks everyone who responded.

Latest posts