stupid question time ( compression test)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bac2ba6

Reaction score
Right im nearly done with the complete rebuild of my engine , new crank , all new bearings and seals ect ( type1) .

As i have not been able to source a gearbox/bell houseing for a test run on the bench , i would atleast like to check the compression
before it goes back into the bus , Now for the silly question would it be feasable to be able to connect a socket to a decent drill say on the flywheel to atleast be able to spin the engine very briefly to check the compression on each cylinder once i have the heads back on and the valves set .

If this is a real numpty idea then you can shoot me :lol:

Any more sensible idea's welcome ;)

I do have faith in my work ( i think :lol: ) as i have been quite careful to check everything :lol: and i did think it was a numpty idea , just wanted to try and avoid having to cart the engine backwards and forwards between my mates house ( as he has a garage to work in ) and the bus at my house if any adjustments did need doing ? any ideas on how to attach a starter without a bell houseing ( as they seem thin on the ground at the moment ) :( most welcome .

If not looks like i will have to cross everything and hope it goes ok when back in the bus :lol:

I think a drill would struggle to turn over the engine well enough to perform a test. That's one of the reasons the starter motor engages the edge of the flywheel, you have 100mm+ leaverage on the crank.

Latest posts