Tank breather?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanks

Reaction score
Getting close to painting my van and want the engine bay clean. The tube that runs along the top and above the battery trays and I think go to the tank I'm not sure of. Can I ditch this? What is it?

Has anyone got a picture of the route of this breather? I've just removed my charcoal filter as it was full of holes and would like to confirm I've got the route of this pipe right. Does it just plug into the top of the tinware?

Thanks for the diagram.

Mine wasn't connected to the filter as it's got a pancake filter.

Can this be vented somewhere else and not have all that pipe work?

I've also looked for some engine bay pics but the search doesn't seem to let me find any. Is there a engine bay thread? I want to see what others look like.

Cheers

Thanks for the thread Sparky, I'll take a look.

Looking again at the diagram made me think?
My pipe work is fixed to the roof of the engine bay maybe a couple of inches in. I'm sure sure I've seen them ditched before just wanted a heads up on it if anyone has done it here?

If I can't find anything out I'll leave it but will have to replace all the rubber couplers as they have had it.

I've got a charcoal canister on mine and I'm fitting Twin Weber 40's next week.

What's the correct method for my bus???

Gütterßnipe said:
I've got a charcoal canister on mine and I'm fitting Twin Weber 40's next week.

What's the correct method for my bus???
Same boat, I did not want to plumb it into the carbs because of the risk of a backfire , so I've piped it out the bottom for now. Just a temp thing until I learn the proper way.

sparkywig said:
Bigbear said:
Is that right?

No, should be into the air filter rather than the oil breather.

It's not going into the oil breather, the pipe in this pic is from air filter to oil breather., it's the charcoal canister pipe I need to know where to put?

should all vans have this fuel breather setup???

i got my van 4 yrs ago and i don't have anything like this at all or is it just for some variants??

sharky71 said:
should all vans have this fuel breather setup???

i got my van 4 yrs ago and i don't have anything like this at all or is it just for some variants??

think it must be different between years. I've got a 69 and there is just a single steel pipe running down the right hand side behind the air filter that goes straight out the bottom of the engine bay.

If you look in that 'clean engine bays' link sparkywig posted you can see it in the first pic

bluenose said:
think it must be different between years. I've got a 69 and there is just a single steel pipe running down the right hand side behind the air filter that goes straight out the bottom of the engine bay.

The early buses had the top diagram, then it changed in MY 1972 to the middle diagram with the expansion pipes inside the rear corners.
That pipe that runs down behind the air filter is the filler opening drain pipe, the tank breather emerges into the filler opening to the left of the filler neck.

Latest posts