The "I've got my BTI approval letter through" thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beef

Reaction score
As there seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether our buses qualify for BTI, and therefore 5% VAT on imports from USA, I thought a thread for those who did get it might help people to decide whether it's worth applying. I'll kick things off because I've just recieved my letter telling me that my 72 microbus has been approved. I had to pay 20% up front as it took HMRC so long, but now I'm going to fill in a C285 to reclaim the amount I overpaid. OK the money isn't in my accont yet, but nearly.

Anybody else?

a few tips for you Beef from someone whos owned a freight forwarding company and
has direct hmrc links for customs clearances at all ports now and for the last 20 years :lol: ;)
I have been doing customs clearances from the age of 17 and thats tooooo long :lol:

anyways
HMRC post change there duty rapayment office all the time so below is there current
duty repayment address for 285's

National Duty Repayment Centre
Priory Court
St Johns Road
Dover
Kent
CT17 9SH

Make sure you enclose the following along with your 285

the import C88 entry
the E2 generated print (import entry acceptance advice)
A copy of all the documents regarding the import (ie invoice for the bus etc)
copy of the BTI
and write a letter explaining very clearly what you want doing/refunding

cheers
potts

BTW, most clearance agents would declare the 5% rate regardless of BTI if requested
(its only 1 code on the c88 makeup), BUT officially a BTI is required as officially ;) you
need to put the reference number they approve it under in box 44 of the c88 !

The comm code is used by anybody (private included) to identify the goods being imported
(the commodity tarrif is like 5 telephone deirectories thick) and has a rate of duty / vat
applicable to that said commodity.
To claim preferences regardless of private / commercial you need to code the C88 entry up
accordingly, this overides the GENERAL rate to that comm code. simples ! :D

link for BTI details
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... e=document

I will post link tomorrow for the application form as you cant readily get it very easily !

heres the illusive BTI application form for you
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/re" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... orm_en.pdf

Thanks. Yes that's the address I was given on the phone today.

Hi Guys

Does anyone have a new link to get the BTI form online? The link above no longer works and I've spent ages on the European commission website trying to find it.

Also does anyone know if you can apply for the BTI whilst your bus is in transit? I don't want to have to wait 4 weeks for a reply before I begin the import.

You have to ring them and they will send you it on email

Apply as soon as you can, its upto you when you get your bus sent over but you must have the approval before it gets here

I brought mine into the country on the 5% comm code...paid the 5% vat

I now need to send some documents and a form to customs so they can issue me with some paperwork which says the correct tax has been paid which then enables me to register the vehicle with DVLA etc...

So hopefully no need for the BTI....

yachty said:
If you are bringing it in through Kingstown Shipping, they will do the forms for you and if approved, charge you 100 quid for the privilige. No approval, no charge.

Or take 2 minutes to ring them up.

Get the form emailed as mentioned above.

Fill it out in approx 5 minutes.

Post it away.

Save 100 quid

I get Kingstown to do mine, it may seem silly to pay the charge but to be honest I've never had one queried that they have presented and you get the customs form straight away without having to send documents back to HMRC. I think as they are a commercial freight agency they seem to get approved without any queries.

Hi
I used Kingstown to ship my 68 og pop top westy from Sacramento to LA then to Felixstowe.
Bus arrived on Wednesday,so Christmas has come early.I found them very helpful and efficient,and was able to to a deal with the costs.
They also organised the BTI paperwork and I agree with Grahams comments,they make it easy and they are dealing with Vat and customs on a daily basis.
Cannot wait for bus to be cleared and collected,very exicited.
Ian

Reborn bay man said:
Hi
I used Kingstown to ship my 68 og pop top westy from Sacramento to LA then to Felixstowe.
Bus arrived on Wednesday,so Christmas has come early.I found them very helpful and efficient,and was able to to a deal with the costs.
They also organised the BTI paperwork and I agree with Grahams comments,they make it easy and they are dealing with Vat and customs on a daily basis.
Cannot wait for bus to be cleared and collected,very exicited.
Ian

I used them for shipping mine as well, also got them to complete the BTI papaerwork. I could have saved the money but my thoughts were the same - they know what they are doing!

J.

Latest posts