The missus' new ride: 1960 Swedish import beetle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now the bus is up an running sweet again I thought I'd better spend a day on the bug, so we jumped in the bus, went over to the inlaws house at Felixstowe and pulled the motor out ready to rebuild :)

http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Karlos2110/media/F6880F8A-8F6A-4F95-B17A-6DDA7752BBE6_zpsnskrfvkp.jpg.html]
F6880F8A-8F6A-4F95-B17A-6DDA7752BBE6_zpsnskrfvkp.jpg
[/URL]

Case is now spilt, bearings, crank, cam and lifters are all in good condition so they'll be getting reused. However it's getting new barrels, pistons and heads as well as being full flow oiling. Only gonna fit a remote oil filter as an upgrade over the stock oil screen set up.

Not tempted to drop the 2110 in there for a bit while you rebuild the bug lump?

SiDev said:
Not tempted to drop the 2110 in there for a bit while you rebuild the bug lump?

Too much work to fit all my fuel and oil system, would be brutal though :lol:

After a mission trying to find some heads I've scored a pair of NOS 40hp :D which have had the intakes cleaned up and the exhaust ports lightly polished.

The crank has had a polish, new big end and main bearings along with being blue printed. New cam bearings which are dual thrust opposed to the original single thrust. Just need to press the timing gears on and it can go back together.

Progress has been slow on the bug due to getting bus ready for Ninove, moving house, changing job and a couple other things but anyway...

Back at it now, motor is assembled just needs the tinware, ancillies and exhaust fitted :)

But... We are in search of new narrowed beam, I took the current beam off to underseal the pan & arches and discovered a horrendous creation!!!

CB Performance beam my arse :evil:

sparkywig said:
Good work Karlos.
When's Fran fitting it?

:lol:

She's said when it comes to fitting it and starting it she's gonna stay at home as she's scared... :roll:

Cheers love :lol:

New beam on, lower arms narrowed and King pins adjusted

I also stone chipped the frame head, made new brake hard lines and rebuilt the master cylinder.

Detailed the fuel tank too 8)

I'm happy with it but most importantly so is Francine 8)

Have this monster in my shop at the moment too, trying to get Fran to let me fit it for a giggle
2442cc 94x88
Engle FK89 with 1.5:1 rockers
12:1 compression
Competition eliminator heads with 48x42 valves
Weber 51.5 IDA's
Full MSD ignition system
Super light flywheel with stage 3 clutch
2" merged header with a stinger
And to top it all off a 150 hp NOS fogger system

:mrgreen:

sparkywig said:
How much does DM want for the motor Karlos? I presume it's Darren's.

Yeah it's Darren's, I'll message you but will be up for sale once I've gone through it

Latest posts