• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

THE SICK BAY! `72 AMBULANCE...............(tax exempt)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Reaction score
CHECK THIS OUT . . . .

FOR SALE - THE SICK BAY!

1972 VOLKSWAGEN BAY WINDOW AMBULANCE - COMPLETELY ORIGINAL.
103_0393.jpg

103_0398.jpg

103_0395.jpg

103_0402.jpg

Right, I bought the van just over a year ago and since then have had no trouble with it what so ever, nothing but fun!

This is definately the coolest vehicle I have ever owned and/or probably will own.

It`s a factory ambulance, according to the m codes. It still has all the original interior and exterior installments including:

one solid stretcher,
one folding stretcher,
a wheelchair,
the buddy seat,
the folding chair,
the frosted privacy glass,
the sliding glass bulkhead,
the air conditioning unit,
the eberspacher heater,
the internal strip light,
the flashing `cyclops` light,
the siren horns,
the blue flashing light (should be two, but one missing?),
the rear amber flashing lights,
and the tow bar.

This really has got a lot of character.

Other than these original extras, the following `add ons` have been fitted:

a set of 5 period 14" RO80 alloy wheels,
rear adjustable spring plates,
one adjuster in the front beam,
two spot lights on the front bumper,
a period chrome search light (drivers door),
a period windscreen riot shield,
a detachable rear valance,
a sound system
and a few stickers!!!

Like I said, I bought this over a year ago from the previous owner (50/67.com) who carried out the necessary work needed to bring the vehicle back to life and on the road. The only areas that welding was needed to was the rear section of the sliding door outer sill and the drivers side outer sill. Obviously every mechanical and electrical part was also checked/replaced/repaired but I was told that this vehicle really was in good condition. Shaun from 50/67.com had bought it from a bloke who had shipped it over with intentions of getting it back on the road as it had stood for 18 years in a barn. Before that it was apparently in service in Malta. What a life it`s had! To last 37 years is hard enough for any car, but to still be as it was from the factory and to be in such good condition is just amazing!

Ideally I would like to sell it (that`s a lie, ideally I want to keep this vehicle for ever, but needs must) to someone with the similar intentions of keeping it as it is.

The vehicle drives and handles perfectly and stops on the button, thanks to the disc brakes up front. The engine is in tip top condition and pulls very well.

The only things that I can fault on the vehicle are:

the front doors do not lock with the keys - though they fit the front doors they only fit and operate the sliding door, rear hatch and ignition. I have a feeling this is something simple but I have not dug deeper to resolve the problem. Up until now I only have to open the sliding door and lean over to unlock the front doors from inside,
the windscreen seal has perished - needs replacing,
the sliding door window aperture has some rust issues along with the 1/4 opening window - window needs to be removed, the lip repaired/replaced, the 1/4 window frame replaced and then the concerned area resprayed,
the roof gutters, though not badly rusted, have a few pin holes in the lip of the outer gutter and too much surface rust for my liking, so I have treated them with a rust killing waterproof paint, not pretty but better than leaving the rust to get worse - this ideally needs to be flatted back, the pin holes welded up (literally a blob of weld on each pin hole) and respraying,
the ambulance sliding step does not operate with the sliding door - this is only a mechanical problem with the step itself and requires servicing.
the air conditioning unit does not work properly - I believe the switch is faulty and therefore needs replacing,
the petrol heater does not work - I have removed this for safety reasons as I have heard too many bad stories (will be refitted but not to a working standard),
These are the only `bad points` that I can thing of, I`m being as honest as I can with the sale.

The van has provisionally been booked in to have works carried out in a couple of weeks time to rectify all problems mentioned above. This is ofcourse, dependent on the interest of the vehicle as it is.

At the previous MOT the van went straight through and had no advisories what so ever.

The MOT expires on the 3rd Sep 2010 and the tax runs out at the end of July 2010 (although this is not a problem as the vehicle is obviously tax exempt).

The vehicle has covered what is believed to be a genuine 106,383 kilometres. Not bad for a vehicle of this age.

The engine is a 1600 which runs extremely well, recently been serviced and tuned. I wouldn`t hesitate to drive this vehicle anywhere.

£6500

Please feel free to ask any questions or queries and I shall do my best to answer.
Will add more photos very shortly.

CHEERS TOM.

TOM,
I`m drooling.Dude bar the lowering and the ro80`s this is stock as you like...like an original ambulance with all its kit. I`d try this sale either at coys or the samba.com. It will appeal to a serious collector who may or may not be watching this site. Just my 50pence worth
scotto

Araon said:
http://www.coys.co.uk/index.php

Just checked out the site. Man, some awesome looking cars.
Look at the 356! Mmmmmm!
Don`t know whether the ambulance would go down very well with that lot. Surely they`re only interested in pure stock vehicles?
Would be nice to see it up on their site though!

Latest posts