Thermal paint stripping cause of rust?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maarten

Reaction score
In 2019 and 2020 we had the carbody of our '68 bus restored for 30,000 euros. A seriously high amount. Especially in the knowledge that the bus came from California and only showed some rust in 3 places (battery box, under the windshield and at the bottom right near the bumper), but further a stunning good bus.
The bus has been thoroughly restored, the paint is thermally stripped (in an oven at 400 degrees celcius) and sprayed again and sealed with wax in the hollow spaces.

However, last summer (2022 within 2 years after delivery) we saw that bubbles appeared on the outside on the outside flat walls on the original spot welds. Both on the left and right side.

Remarkable is also that the body shows no rust anywhere, except at this place and also symmetrical. Both the left and right sides of the car showed bubbles on the panel.

After thermal stripping during the restoration of the body, the hollow space behind this was no longer provided with new preservation or wax because the painter could not reach it. The painter admits and confirms that.

The bus has now been repaired, but I am having a discussion with the painter about the root cause of this corrosion. There are 2 options:

Scenario 1)
Due to the thermal stripping, all paint turns to dust. Even in hollow spaces. The hollow spaces on both sides are not treated and therefore not protected against corrosion. Sleeping in the bus causes condensation (moisture) and in 2 years this hollow space has corroded so much that blisters on the outside went visible.

Scenario 2)
Despite the fact that the bus was almost rust-free prior to the restoration, and no visible signs of corrosion at this specific location, corrosion has already been there on this specific rib before the restoration. This corrosion then continued and led to bibbles on the outside of the bus 2 years later. Accidently this happens to both sides (left and right).

I'm curious which scenario do you think is the most realistic?
Have other VW T2 owners had equal problems with thermal paint stripping or with these ribs in particular?

I hope you can help me?

Kind regards,

Maarten

The pictures are taken before and after the restoration

Attachments

• 02XX.jpg
    02XX.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 03xx.jpg
    03xx.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 04xx.jpg
    04xx.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 05xx.jpg
    05xx.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 01xx1.jpg
    01xx1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
it seems to me more likely to be option 2. Treating one side of the metal does not mean the other side is good. I’m having similar issues with some rot at the bottom on my sliding door and rear hatch. despite wax oil inside some time before, then after the paint there is some corrosion that’s been quietly growing.

Latest posts