Tricky One... what's a van worth?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacos69

Reaction score
Hi,
Just to ask a tricky question what's a van worth? I know that I've not told you what van but I wondered if there's a website or something which gives a kind of 'parkers guide' value to various van types, age, mileage, originality etc? Or are the variables too many and wide and open to interpretation?
For example how much might a tidy condition not restored early bay single cab pickup with factory tilt bed be worth? Suggestions on a postcard!
Or maybe can we put a forum for people to pass judgement on this site (bit like volkszone has?)
Cheers, Andy.

anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay. so it all depends on the market. but im sure someone will come up with some good numbers. :msn4:

Dont know on the pick up value but always good to check the "for sales" on the varous forums and you'll start to get an idea of values.

What ever you do, make sure you get an agreed valuation from your insurer for your bus, whatever its worth, mine was a write off, 2 days after the start date of the insurance and I've had a pig of a job getting what the bus was worth out of them. I took the bus out of the garage to get the photo's done for the agreed valuation and, ironicaly, when I took it down the road to turn it around to photograph the other side, that's when it caught fire ! :(

bacos69 said:
For example how much might a tidy condition not restored early bay single cab pickup with factory tilt bed be worth? Suggestions on a postcard!

Not much :( Pick Ups aren't that sought after despite the rarity (imagine the battles I have with the morons at the insurance company trying to get a realistic agreed value on a sc with satin paint :roll: )

bacos69 said:

I have to disagree with you wheeto ,I have never seen a tilt bed pickup and my cheque book is out waiting to fill the amount in... :mrgreen:

dandaz said:
bacos69 said:

I have to disagree with you wheeto ,I have never seen a tilt bed pickup and my cheque book is out waiting to fill the amount in... :mrgreen:

Its odd, commecials are where the whole supply and demand ethic goes to pot, they are getting more and more popular, there are less and less about, but the prices still havent rocketed.

bit odd.

MMMM -how long is a bit of string?.
Always seems to me that it is a bit like football -

Prem Div - Splits 20>35K (I'm ignoring the recent £135K Samba at Auction)
Championship - Earlybays / Splits 15>20K
Div 1 - Earlybays/Splits/Latebays - 10>15K
Div 2 - ditto - 5>10K
Non-League (Projects) - 1>5K

I don't think you can accurately generalize, selling on here is a different audience to e-Bay / Piston Heads even Dubs4Sale ................probably
buy via here and sell on the others :lol: .
That should get it going............

bermuda blue said:
I don't think you can accurately generalize, selling on here is a different audience to e-Bay / Piston Heads even Dubs4Sale ................probably
buy via here and sell on the others :lol: .
That should get it going............

So are you saying that the lovely people on this forum aren't prepared to pay very much for the vans for sale?? :lol:

I would say they are a very discerning bunch :msn4: who know how much is left to do and how much that it will cost................

bermuda blue said:
I would say they are a very discerning bunch :msn4: who know how much is left to do and how much that it will cost................

Hmmm.. how much it'll cost you say... well I have contacts that can do it cheaper if it's a big job!! :msn4: But don't tell anyone!! :lol:

If that comment interests anyone then PM me and I can tell you more but you'll have to know the secret password!! :msn4: :lol:

Cheers, Andy.

antoine said:
dandaz said:
bacos69 said:

Its odd, commecials are where the whole supply and demand ethic goes to pot, they are getting more and more popular, there are less and less about, but the prices still havent rocketed.

bit odd.

Exactly. I did misread the post as "factory tilt" but rereading it seems the van is a tipper?

Still though, it'll be cheaper than a barndoor samba and if you turn up at one of the larger shows, volksworld etc you won't be the only barndoor samba, yet turn up a sc tipper and it'll be the only one there.

Panel Vans seems to be worth a lot more than pick ups too, I guess there aren't many people who prefer camping under tilt and bows to a tin roof!

ProfessorWheeto said:
Well that is cooler than a polar bear's scrote then.

dipped in liquid nitrogen and taken on a skiing holiday.

Fecking awesome, we need pictures.

vw caddys have always suffered the same problem. a tatty one worth a grand even for a basket case, yet a show winner only worth 3-4k :(

there seems to be a ceilng price on true commercials. but 10k seems to be a divider between good and great buses. 15k and it needs to be famous, or should that be infamous? :D any more and it needs to be golden

I've been trying to research tippers to see if this one is a factory one or a local company built one. :msn4:
I'm not finding a lot of info on them. :(
Any pointers please?

andewilson said:
there seems to be a ceilng price on true commercials. but 10k seems to be a divider between good and great buses. 15k and it needs to be famous, or should that be infamous? :D any more and it needs to be golden
i agree completely. coming from the world of split screen busses, i have seen lots of piles of poop going for top money. this is due to the very clever nature of the sellers/owners, by giving the vehicle a name and extreme exposure over many forums making sure the vehicle is known. again this is down to the vanity/insanity of the prospective buyer wanting a vehicle because it is famous/infamous! paying top dollar reguardless of the true value/condition of the vehicle. sorry to sound harsh but this is what keeps/pushes the price of these vehicles we all love up in the clouds.
IMHO
;)

bacos69 said:
I've been trying to research tippers to see if this one is a factory one or a local company built one. :msn4:
I'm not finding a lot of info on them. :(
Any pointers please?

Has it still got the plate with the M Codes fitted? Also could apply to the Museam in Wolfsburg for a "Birth Certificate" which would probably clear up if its OG or Coachbuilt.

Latest posts