twin Carb advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geordie

Reaction score
Ok this is a new topic for me.
Twin Carbs whats the advantage, is it worth it, I've got no idea but welcome advice from anyone please.

Yours truly i want to get there sooner geordie.

Imo if it's a stock engine and is running sweet leave well alone and a properly tuned engine should be fairly nippy.
Twin carbs are good if you get them properly balanced and jetted you may not notice any major " off the mark " get up and go power but you can maintain your speed a bit better up hills ect and if tuned correctly may get slightly better mpg.
It can go on forever bigger carbs, bigger engine, better exhaust ect the list is endless in pursuit of more power but you will have to have an endless wallet aswell lol. This is all on the presumption that the bare bones of an engine are in good working order as having a total rebuild ain't that cheap either. I've been down the twin carb route before and although good I went back to stock in the end and that's good enough for me :)
It's your bus your rules but the stock engine works well enough for me in my opinion :)

I went for twin carbs on an essentially stock engine (stainless exhaust the other exception).
I got quality carbs (recon Dell 36's) and they were set up on a rolling road.

Totally transformed the vans performance, acceleration, cruising, hills and top speed. MPG is better too.

Ive not been tempted to carry on seeking more power so far, Im happy with the performance/reliabilty it s given me. :)

Thanks Bac2ba2 and Clem for the advice.

The old bus went to the garage today for a service and have the gears adjusted, the fella there works mostly on air cooled stuff.

He said exactly the same about twin carbs theres a small advantage, its all about your set up.

adviced not to bother.

Im learning and thanks for the valued advice.

geordie

I think pretty much the same as above ^^^ but the reason I think you get so many wildly differing opinions, maybe, some people go over to twin carbs just chasing extra ponies and some peeps go over to twin carbs when their existing single carb has been playing up and therefore not performing as well as it should have done so the difference is more extreme and noticeable ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just a thought or two :lol:

i'm not a fan of twins i don't like having to work on my vw all the time beside they don't have chokes. i had a set a few times and if they are the weber style you will be working on them all the time they don't stay in sync. empi 40's they were alright not bad, but i like ol' reliable single carb starts every time has a choke and you don't have to cut the air cleaner stand off. i had a 1776 german 34pict carb with a bus freeway flyer .77 4th in one of my buses and it ran like a scalded dog.

Right I'm sticking with single carb ;)

Thanks for the input ozziedog and smokehouse.

geordie

Latest posts