Twin carbs or not??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knighty

Reaction score
Hi all, nice to find so many other early bay fans out there!!
Just a quick question, I've just had a new stock 1600 put in my '67 bay, but the carb is shot! I need to replace, but have no idea whether to go for twins or not?!? Can anyone help??
Cheers dudes

Unless you're improving the cam and fitting bigger barrels and pistons, I wouldn't waste your money. The small performance gains wouldn't be worth the additional expense IMO.

Personally I have a stock setup , dual ICT's and Dellorto 36's in my current busses

Dual ICT's will give you a bit more go and about 2 - 3 MPG more in my experience. I wouldn't hestitate to recommend them for a stock 1600

The Dellorto 36's are lovely carbs and my favourites, but I do have a slightly hotter cam (Engle 100) and overall for a stock 1600 the ICT's are easier to set up and keep in tune. ( not to mention the akwardness of getting to the No 1 plug with the Dellorto manifolds)

In general I guess I could summarise it as the stock cab is less hassle, the dual carbs have better pickup , bit more grunt and better MPG , but a bit more complexity.

Dual carbs also benefit noticably from a 4:1 header and quiet pack. I find these a bit noisy and currently use a 1600 beetle exhaust which is a bit more free flowing than the stock bus exhaust and compliments the dual carbs well while maintaining a more standard VW (and quieter) exhaust note.

^^^^agre with above :mrgreen: go for twin 34 icts for an increase in power and if set up correctly and driven without a lead foot :wink: you will get better MPG than a stock carb 8) worth it to get up them hills :mrgreen:

I have a stock 1600 TP in resonable condition, im going to fit twin genuine webber 36IDFs and a fatter exhaust till i can get a new bigger lump. MPG shouldn't alter if properly tuned and i should definitely see a bit more power for uphills.

My bus (1600VEGE twinport) is currently having Weber 34ICTs put in, next job is to get rid of the shite Monza the PO installed for an decent exhaust on a budget... My birthday is coming up, anyone want to chip in? :wink: :lol:

....standard 1600tp (vege) 20k miles.....

................just added twin kadrons :lol: (Solex 40mm...not as trendy as some of the above :? ) and the bus is so much more drivable :mrgreen: ........the torque is better it pulls up hills and gear changing is far better as the engine is more flexiable.

GO FOR IT :p

'71 Dorma said:
the shite Monza the PO installed :wink: :lol:

...I was asking the garage where my bus gets serviced about a replacement exhaust..'said if I got a Monza he wouldn't work on it anymore' :mrgreen:

mjknight71 said:
'71 Dorma said:
the shite Monza the PO installed :wink: :lol:

...I was asking the garage where my bus gets serviced about a replacement exhaust..'said if I got a Monza he wouldn't work on it anymore' :mrgreen:

wise man :lol:

Cheers all, still a bit confused as opinion seems to be pretty split. I want to take her round Europe in the near future, so any extra pull I can get on the longer trips the better really! The guy who fitted my engine's reccommended the 32/36 weber carb?

knighty said:
The guy who fitted my engine's reccommended the 32/36 weber carb?

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

The only experience I've had with them hasn't been good.

As far as I'm concerned, the long manifolds (inlet) are the biggest flaw with the stock VW engines (single carb). Fitting the twin carbs gets rid of this problem...

That said, some people do swear by the 32/36. :) I was wondering how possible it would be to fit twin 32/36s to anything.

I ran these on my last bus and proved to be very good on a stock 1600.

Also very nicely priced
http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=TYPE%201%20ICT%20kit&CategoryID=12&PartsectionID=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kempy said:
I ran these on my last bus and proved to be very good on a stock 1600.

Also very nicely priced
http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=TYPE%201%20ICT%20kit&CategoryID=12&PartsectionID=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Exactly what I've just bought and where I bought from, be aware prices quoted do not include VAT (£360 inc VAT & del.)

I am picking the van up today from the garage where they ahve been fit, tho he has just rung me and told me cylinders 1 and 3 are not firing properly atm :shock:

I see that they also do a set ready for single port - any views?
My [SP] engine seems great right now, so no real need to change anything, but do fancy the slight extra ooomph from the twin Dels.....

very good if you can get a reasonable pair of manifolds..... really helps the sp motor.... and brings it in line with the tp with stronger heads....

Thanks Araon - had wondered if it was a case of 'no point' but good to hear that it is a possible upgrade route, when funds permit!

Latest posts