Type 1 or type 4 engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuty

Reaction score
Hi, i need new motor, and i dont know if i made type 1 or 4... What is your advise? Sorry bad english thanks

I need buy one, meine is broken in "block" :( but i dont know if is better buy one type 1 or a type 4

Ok. nutty, the engine should really match the gearbox. Then we might be able to tell which engine was in there and therefore which would be the easiest to fit. If you show us some pictures of the gearbox and the engine bay, we should be able to work out which one was in there originally. As for which one is better, then we must say the newer and more modern type 4 is a better engine but it will be much more work if it is not the original engine, it is also heavier than the type 1 engine.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, lets start with what it was in there :mrgreen:

If you’re buying a complete engine from scratch then a Type 1 will be easier and cheaper to source.

Assuming you have an early bay , only 72’s might have a 1700 Type 4 fitted from factory.

A type 1 is much cheaper to build then a type4, so you could get a decent type 1 engine for way less money. Also much more choice when it comes to parts, like exhausts, etc. A good 1776cc can be built to have similar power and torque as a 2l type 4 very easily.

I personally like the type 4 for it’s robustness, and when built correctly can make a lot of power and last a very long time, although very costly.

Abel

My bus is a crossover 1972 AB.
Yes is this information i need, all people in portugal say dont buy type 4 because is to expensive, but my last motor cost a lot, and have some big problems and now is broken (typ 1 1641cm3, 12litres 100km) . Now i try to do something good, reliable, power to drive confortable road trip with family and try have less liters for 100km. Thanks

I will try put a beetle gearbox (1302s) for try made low rpm better consumption ( i think).

nuty said:
My bus is a crossover 1972 AB.
Yes is this information i need, all people in portugal say dont buy type 4 because is to expensive, but my last motor cost a lot, and have some big problems and now is broken (typ 1 1641cm3, 12litres 100km) . Now i try to do something good, reliable, power to drive confortable road trip with family and try have less liters for 100km. Thanks
Nuty, are you Portuguese? I speak Portuguese too, you can PM or call mme and i can offer all the advice you need👌

Abel

Latest posts