U.S electric hook up question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderlust

Reaction score
My bus is a U.S import Westy with the built in hook up points. Apart from the socket inside the van what else is it connected to? Was asking as didn't know why people don't change them over to a uk hook up and socket if that was all that receives the power, or is there more to it then a straight swap?

I've converted mine. Well sort of. I have made up a hook up cable with UK camping plug (16A round pin) on one end and the US plug on the other to go straight into original socket on van.

Next step was to test this, so I used a us to uk travel adaptor and plugged a small flat screen tv into the wall socket in the van. It worked fine so I knew the plug combo and original socket was working fine.

Then I decided I didn't want to mess around with adaptor a so using the original socket mount as a template I made a plastic housing for a two gang uk socket and wired it up. You just have to read up on which wire is which in American wiring to make sure you get all of the in the proper place.

What I have left out is the built in trip switch in the original, I considered using it in my conversion but then I thought that most hook up points have trip switches in them anyway. I looked for something similar to include in my conversion but with the two gang socket there wasn't much room anyway so I'll just rely in the campsite trip. I'll post a pic but the van is full of stuff at present.

Peeeetay said:
I've converted mine. Well sort of. I have made up a hook up cable with UK camping plug (16A round pin) on one end and the US plug on the other to go straight into original socket on van.

Next step was to test this, so I used a us to uk travel adaptor and plugged a small flat screen tv into the wall socket in the van. It worked fine so I knew the plug combo and original socket was working fine.

Then I decided I didn't want to mess around with adaptor a so using the original socket mount as a template I made a plastic housing for a two gang uk socket and wired it up. You just have to read up on which wire is which in American wiring to make sure you get all of the in the proper place.

What I have left out is the built in trip switch in the original, I considered using it in my conversion but then I thought that most hook up points have trip switches in them anyway. I looked for something similar to include in my conversion but with the two gang socket there wasn't much room anyway so I'll just rely in the campsite trip. I'll post a pic but the van is full of stuff at present.

I too would be interested in seeing this as I too need to convert my US setup.

Chris.

I have the original US socket on the outside with a US plug on an adapter lead. This feeds into an RCD unit with 2 breakers. One feed goes out to the original westy US socket plate (us-uk travel adapters are used) and one feeds a UK socket under the buddy seat to power the battery charger for the leisure battery. I didn't use the original US breaker but left it there for show. Not had any issues with this setup :)

buddyseat.jpg

Should be able to post pics tomorrow providing RCD two gang switch arrives for me to swap for my current one.

I've converted mine on my 71, check my build thread. I've installed a Euro plug into the standard hookup housing and it fits perfect. I wasn't keen on using the us plug socket as it was very corroded.

Latest posts