Uber Lowering 101

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
Right, need to make an uber thread of everything I need to rebuild the front end.

This is how the bus looks right now.

Morelowering5.jpg

RideSetup1.jpg

Its nice and low and looks good, BUT i dont mind raising it 1/2 inch to 1 inch. I have no idea how the bus has been lowered by the PO, I posted up a while back with pictures asking you guys how it had been done becuase the ride was shockingly pants.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was decided the beam had been bodged and it was best to start again. So thats where I am at.

Id like to know what the options are.

Please note:

I am looking to fit disc brakes and I understand this widens the 'track' so i figure I probably need a narrowed beam, however, I dont want it too narrow where the wheels are tucked too far inside and there is a big wheelarch gap.

Sooo, I think from reading that there are two main ways of lowering:
1. A lower front beam (cheaper?)
2. Dropped spindles (more expensive?)

Correct me at anytime if I am wrong, im learning here :oops:

Option 1:
New lowering beam - How much do I need to narrow it by? Do I need a narrowed beam?
New 'lower' shocks (Gadgets? http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
New 'lower?' stering rods???? Do I need special ones?
Disc Brake Kit - If I buy a kit, where do you buy the discs from when its time to change them? Surely you cant call GSF as normal as they are a special disc... no?

Option 2:

Normal Beam (or do I need a lowered beam with this aswell?)
Dropped Spindles
New 'lower' shocks - again gadget?
New 'lower?' stering rods???? (same question as above)
Disc Brake Kit (same question as above)

Are those options any good? Have I missed anything? Is there a better way of doing this?

Go for it, dont be shy, yell it out :lol:

I think you need to answer another couple of questions before getting a good response to your options:

- what's your budget?
- what look are you going for?

These two factors will have a significant impact on what options are available to you.

Okay cool..

Budget: Up to £800
Look: Pretty much what its like right now, but a much better ride!!!!!!!!!!

:?

I'm going down the Red 9 route for suspension. See http://www.red9design.co.uk/type2.htm and do a search on other threads on here. If your front beam is in good condition, then you'll need their EZ Rider kit.

Not sure on your disc options. I have a '71 with discs already, but if you've got to do a conversion, I'm not sure on the easiest option for you.

cunning plan said:

CSP wide five (same stud pattern as you currently have) disc kit will swallow up most of that £800.

Other option is to fit late bay disc-brake spindles - trouble with this is that they're narrow five stud pattern so your front and rear wheels won't match.

OPtion 2 with dropped spindles will give good ride quality as balljoints aren't being stressed. Red9 kit well worth a look - some have questioned using shock tower as 'load-bearing' component - but I've yet to hear of one failing - and there's some fairly rusty beams out there.

fredster said:
cunning plan said:
Red9 kit well worth a look - some have questioned using shock tower as 'load-bearing' component - but I've yet to hear of one failing - and there's some fairly rusty beams out there.

It's been discussed plenty already and was my main concern too...but they've just sold the 1000th setup which says a lot!

How low do you want to go ?
that is the main question

spindles are the way to go up front it keeps your suspension geometry the same as stock but, with drop equals better ride.

are you going to run stock wheels or after market?

Tanks for replys so far guys :mrgreen:

fredster said:
cunning plan said:

CSP wide five (same stud pattern as you currently have) disc kit will swallow up most of that £800.

Other option is to fit late bay disc-brake spindles - trouble with this is that they're narrow five stud pattern so your front and rear wheels won't match.

OPtion 2 with dropped spindles will give good ride quality as balljoints aren't being stressed. Red9 kit well worth a look - some have questioned using shock tower as 'load-bearing' component - but I've yet to hear of one failing - and there's some fairly rusty beams out there.

Yup, sorry youre right, I was thinking up to £800 for the beam setup then discs ontop, wasnt very clear..

VeeDubMan said:
I'm going down the Red 9 route for suspension. See http://www.red9design.co.uk/type2.htm and do a search on other threads on here. If your front beam is in good condition, then you'll need their EZ Rider kit.

Not sure on your disc options. I have a '71 with discs already, but if you've got to do a conversion, I'm not sure on the easiest option for you.

Ill take a look :?

clint@cultwagen said:
How low do you want to go ?
that is the main question

spindles are the way to go up front it keeps your suspension geometry the same as stock but, with drop equals better ride.

are you going to run stock wheels or after market?

I dont want it any lower than what it is, a touch higher if anything lol.
Okay spindles sound good as the current ride is sh!t. If I go with spindles, does that mean i dont need a lowered beam? Or do I need a replacment standard beam?

Going to run the current stock wheels 8) But tidied up a bit :shock:

if you do drop spindles you don't need a narrowed beam necessarily. Stock beam would be ok. Do you rub at all on the tubs ?

clint@cultwagen said:
if you do drop spindles you don't need a narrowed beam necessarily. Stock beam would be ok. Do you rub at all on the tubs ?

No Sir, no rubbin' so far...

Awesome, so i can just buy a new 'un-bodged' beam and fit dropped spindles? :mrgreen:

What about the shocks? Any suggestions?

Is that your bus in your picture? What is the setup on that?

Sorry for all the questions, im whoring knowledge... :shock: :D

Edit: Btw, guys how much do you think the bus is lowered by already? Not having had the bus stock, I dont know what its normal ride height is. But I want to keep it looking the same but with the proper parts so when shopping I need to know whether to go for the 2-4" drop kit or the 4-5.5" if I went down the Red9 route :?:

The only problem with dropped spindles is that they do push the wheels out by 12mm each side (from Memory) which means if you don't go narrower you may have problems with clearance on your wheels depending on the offset.

Personally I would go the Red 9 route, having spoken to the guys in person at Oktoberfest they seem to know what they are doing and will also supply you with a narrower beam now so the whole lot comes from one source rather than lots of suppliers (No doubt Ant will testify to the problems this can cause!!).

I'll certainly be going Red 9 on a future project!! and may even swap the panel over to this in the short term as the ride is awful at the moment :cry:

Yup, youre right, looks like thats the route I will take..

EZ Kit + EZ beam + disc brake conversion kit from somewhere 8)

Can someone take a guess how low the bus is already? I want to know whether to order the up to 4" kit or the 4-5.5" kit??

From their literature you can only fit the 4 -5.5 lowering kit if you have wheels that are 23" diameter or less so thats the determining factor.

Graham L said:
From their literature you can only fit the 4 -5.5 lowering kit if you have wheels that are 23" diameter or less so thats the determining factor.

Okay, cool, but where did you read that from? I can only find the product description.. :?

I think I read it on the sheet they gave me at Oktoberfest, will check later if I remember. You can always give them a call and see what they recommend, they seem a friendly bunch :mrgreen:

Latest posts