UK spec headlights on my US 72 deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beef

Reaction score
After searching for what seems like days, I can't actually find a definitive answer to this question, so can we clear this up so that I can buy the bits that I need and fit them please?

My bus is a 1972 US deluxe microbus, so it has an early front. I've read so many conflicting posts about what I need, ranging from links which no longer work, to late bay headlights costing £28, to early lights costing over £100 each.

Please help!

buy these

they will fit. LMP903 (not the L ones)

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=lmp903&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sidelight ones LMP904 (not the L )

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=lmp904&osCsid=e30a74fee89d0dcf985fa10f862cdc7d&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you need a sidelight go for the pilot light ones and drill a small hole in behind the bowl for the additional wire you will need to run. if you have sidelights elsewhere then you need the non pilot light ones. that price is for a pair excluding VAT and delivery, but still cheaper than heritage/CC i believe.

see Radish's thread white westy he has the pilot ones fitted. ;)

Think the £28 post referes to mine :lol:

AMerican bus's have single screw headlights the same as a late bay, therefore you have a few options

Original hella direct replacement: take of chrome trim, undo 3 screws take headlight out (including adjustment frame), run sidelight wire from your indicator up to the bowl (inside the bus) and attach to new lights and replace (around £80)

But 7" golf/mini/various others H4 with sidelights from ebay do the same as above but seperate the frame, little bit of grinding to clear sidelight mount and again a simple job

As for why you need a sidelight. US bus use a dual filament bulb in the indicator so sidelight is orange, if you take the sidelight feed off the indicator bulb hold and just run it up to the headlamp bowl thats it.

Alternative is to take out teh orange indicator internal in you lense, drill a hole for a new bulb holder, orange bulb in one clear in the other

hope this helps. It really is easy and i know what you mean about the dead links

Latest posts