Upgrade to H4-headlights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doohminik

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade the headlights with some H4-halogens.
Did someone installed H4-healights in his earlybay?
If yes, how did you do it?
Or is there a conversionkit to switch from bulbs to H4's but still fits in the original headlight?

I upgraded mine to H4 using some headlamps from a MK1 Golf that had been abandoned in our carpark at work. Just get the lamps and mounting frames, they do require a very little adjustment to get the mounting screws to align.

doohminik said:
I've already tried some headlamps from a MK1 Golf, when mounting them the chrome rim doesn't fit anymore....
:-(

Strange, my rims fitted first try. Are yours single screw rims or three screw? Mine are genuine 1968 rims.

speedwell68 said:
doohminik said:
I've already tried some headlamps from a MK1 Golf, when mounting them the chrome rim doesn't fit anymore....

Strange, my rims fitted first try. Are yours single screw rims or three screw? Mine are genuine 1968 rims.

Standard I had a 3screw rim, now I've bought a genuine 1 screw rim.
But thisone doesn't fit exactly...

Turns out that I might have my facts wrong on this, I've just done a little research, mine are genuine rims but it turns out that early bays should have three screw fixings and later ones(73>) have single screw fixings. Perhaps this is why my rims fit golf lamps as they are later rims.

what year is your early bay?
My bus is from august 1970, and it already has 3 extra (unused) brackets.
When I mount the laterbay/golf I lights in these brackets the headlight is fitting to much outside (to the front)

IMG_0069.jpg

Mines a '68. The headlamps fitted perfectly on my original front panel. Unfortunately I had to change the front panel, but the lamps and rims fit perfectly on the new one. What year golf are the lamps from? There has to be a logical reason why yours won't fit, the only difference I can see is you have 3 screws and I have one screw. Have you any pics of the golf lamp?

if the tabs are in the right location rotationally surely you can mount the lamp behind them with spacers - bend them flat then fold them back up in front of the light.

I know only one other van which was a late 70 van too which had the tabs already in place on an original front panel - he has fitted h4s without a problem (mines and early on and didnt have them) - all later (post changeover)vans had them anyway (as do new front panels) - but they were designed for sealed beam units that were similar but not the same as H4s.

maybe EUro spec Mk1 golfs had different backing plates than we have here in the UK. whatever the solution its not going to be that hard to move it back in the headlamp bowl

I have a US import Westy, date stamped 11/69 on the plate. I had to fit new UK spec lights. It has the 3 tabs on the original front panel. I fitted H4, later type lights.

The only problem I have is there is a gap between the glass & the rim as the new lights have flat glass.

But they work fine.

pete nice said:
I have a US import Westy, date stamped 11/69 on the plate. I had to fit new UK spec lights. It has the 3 tabs on the original front panel. I fitted H4, later type lights.

The only problem I have is there is a gap between the glass & the rim as the new lights have flat glass.

But they work fine.

That is exactly what I found with mine. They are much brighter lights than the old sealed beams.

Latest posts