Upgrading carbs - Dellorto? *About to begin, More Q's*

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertramp

Reaction score
I do apologise for filling up the technical section but I'm trying to get stuck right in.
I have a Bocar 34 pict3 which is running like crap so I thought about getting it tuned correctly. But reading online lots of people say they are crap. So I looked into getting a refurbished Solex as a temporary change as I wanted to upgrade my carbs in the future.
However, I now figured that rather than getting a Solex and having it tuned up by someone, why not bite the bullet and upgrade now, I have lots of trips planned in the coming months so want to start getting sorted.

I've heard lots of good things about Dellorto, is this still the case? I believe I have a twin port engine and its 1600 so am I correct in thinking I can get 36DLRA ones? Will these improve power a bit (going up hills is painful).
I was also going to add a Vintage Speed exhaust.

This is all a steep learning curve, to change to these carbs do I need to change other things? Would you recommend these carbs and on a 1600? Are they reliable and easy to work on?

Thank you
Supertramp - resident mechanical virgin.

I upgraded my stock 1600 to Dellorto 36's a few years ago and love them! Teamed with a decent exhaust they give a noticeable improvement in pulling power, particularly useful for hills and make cruising at 40-60 much easier.

You will need some additional hardware, such as new inlet manifolds and a decent linkage (I use the CB Performance hex bar linkage but there are others to choose from). It depends where you buy them from, but mine came approximately jetted for a 1600, but I later changed the idle jets once I knew what I was doing :)

I would say they are easy to get running and easy to work on, but I would also recommend picking up the Dellorto Superperformance handbook.

I'll be transferring them to my new 1904cc motor too.

A5H said:
I upgraded my stock 1600 to Dellorto 36's a few years ago and love them! Teamed with a decent exhaust they give a noticeable improvement in pulling power, particularly useful for hills and make cruising at 40-60 much easier.

You will need some additional hardware, such as new inlet manifolds and a decent linkage (I use the CB Performance hex bar linkage but there are others to choose from). It depends where you buy them from, but mine came approximately jetted for a 1600, but I later changed the idle jets once I knew what I was doing :)

I would say they are easy to get running and easy to work on, but I would also recommend picking up the Dellorto Superperformance handbook.

I'll be transferring them to my new 1904cc motor too.

Cheers Ash.
There is a kit on the Dellorto website that include the 36DLRA, CSP manifolds, CSP Hex Bar and some K&N filters for £763. Would this be all I'd need?
My last bus ran quite comfortably at 60 and up hills nicely but this fully loaded Westy is struggling.

You may need to re-locate your coil, as the stock position fouls the hex bar. If you still have the platform for the stock air filter that will also need removing. Depending on the banjos that the carbs come with you will probably need a T-piece and some extra fuel pipe.
As well as the book below, a syncing tool can be quite handy too.

Eurocarb (who run the Dellorto site) are pretty good and can jet them to suit, just tell them what it is for when ordering.

A5H said:
You may need to re-locate your coil, as the stock position fouls the hex bar. If you still have the platform for the stock air filter that will also need removing. Depending on the banjos that the carbs come with you will probably need a T-piece and some extra fuel pipe.
As well as the book below, a syncing tool can be quite handy too.

Eurocarb (who run the Dellorto site) are pretty good and can jet them to suit, just tell them what it is for when ordering.

Thanks again Ash. If I remove the air filter what do you replace it with?
Also I'm assuming these carbs and a VS exhaust will be a fair improvement over stock?

I fitted Del 40's and a vintage speed exhaust to my 2.0 type 4. A fair bit of money to put out but so worth it. A massive increase in power and runs and idles like a dream.

surfdubbing said:
I fitted Del 40's and a vintage speed exhaust to my 2.0 type 4. A fair bit of money to put out but so worth it. A massive increase in power and runs and idles like a dream.

Thanks. I think I'm sold. Better get saving.

There's a pic in my thread , page 5 or so of the 36 dells in place etc and coil position

Speak to euro carb they will jet them accordingly, I got my jets etc from them, very helpfull

I'm running a pair of weber 36 idfs they have to be one of the best pairs of carbs around so much torque in standard form too

Dell 36 will be sweet , you can get them cheaper ? Look on VZI I think there is at least one set for sale .....circa 250 just for carbs is going rate

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1128506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They look good

rallye dale said:
There's a pic in my thread , page 5 or so of the 36 dells in place etc and coil position

Speak to euro carb they will jet them accordingly, I got my jets etc from them, very helpfull

Engine looks excellent. Just noticed you're not far from me, might have to pop round and drool over your bus!

lhu128l said:
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1128506

They look good

I'm always concerned about buying this sort of stuff from people - is there anything that could be wrong with them that couldn't be fixed? The ebay ones from Alpha are about £380 reconditioned I think.

Sure there old carbs but nothing that can't be fixed ..... Depends on budget and if you believe the seller ....

I have bought 3 sets of dellorto carbs ,never had a problem with them ...one set of VZI one of eBay and one from this site

You will need to put a pressure regulator or switch to a low pressure rotary pump. Euro carb can supply a Huco lecky pump that I would recommend. Be cheeky and ask for a discount for the whole kit. 55 idles and around 120 mains should do. As said before, get the Dellorto tuning book as it is written for the VW engine. I run 36s in a 1955cc engine with 30 chokes. Really sweet running. Also as said above, go for a T piece in the fuel line rather than running the fuel in series (one carb to the other).
The alpha ones may come with extra vac take offs that are not needed. I'd buy from eurocarb as you then get the guarantee with them. Speak to Matt at eurocarb.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Bloke in Italy sells reconned Dell 36's. Ive bought from him and he his superb, he jets them for what you need. Then get the fitting kit from anyone off the shelf in the UK and away you go.
I used the CB Performance linkage, manifolds and filters and coil mount. Anti pulse valve and fuel hose connectors from random ebayers and I think that was that.

The eBay seller is http://stores.ebay.co.uk/alfa1750scarburetorspartsstore/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought my carbs from the guy above

If I was to do it again I would get it all in one go from eurocarb, just for the ease of it

Anytime you want to come and look paddy your welcome, I want to look at yours as well !

Just been working out the costs of going either through Eurocarb or Alfa1790.
Everything together from Eurocarb comes at £916, whereas from Alfa + buying the CB kit is £601, big difference.
That extra £300 pays for the VS exhaust...

I think I've got that right, unless I'm missing something.

Supertramp said:
Everything together from Eurocarb comes at £916, whereas from Alfa + buying the CB kit is £601, big difference.

The difference when I did mine was the reason I did it like that. Theres really no hassle to buying the bits seperately and like you say, the saving is substantial. The carbs from Italy really are perfect and delivered very quickly.

Clem said:
Supertramp said:

The difference when I did mine was the reason I did it like that. Theres really no hassle to buying the bits seperately and like you say, the saving is substantial. The carbs from Italy really are perfect and delivered very quickly.

Cheers Mike. Definitely sold and will go down the Alfa route. Might try and order them this week as some nice trips planned.
Also girlfriend is nagging me to sort it out.

That is a big difference looking at it, I don't remember it being that big

I bought the manifolds air filters and linkage from stateside tuning, think it was about £200

But my carbs needed jetting etc to suit my engine which was another £150

I bought the carbs on auction and we're about £250 shipped

Other bits are fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel hose , brass t piece, brass connectors to be drilled and tapped into manifold for servo take off and servo hose, fuel pump relay, coil mount

Latest posts