Upgrading carbs - Dellorto? *About to begin, More Q's*

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rallye dale said:
That is a big difference looking at it, I don't remember it being that big

I bought the manifolds air filters and linkage from stateside tuning, think it was about £200

But my carbs needed jetting etc to suit my engine which was another £150

I bought the carbs on auction and we're about £250 shipped

Other bits are fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel hose , brass t piece, brass connectors to be drilled and tapped into manifold for servo take off and servo hose, fuel pump relay, coil mount

Yeah that sounds about right.
Carb on eBay is £385, CB linkage kit with manifolds/air filters and hex bar £192. With eurocarb it's coming to £916 including VAT. I've not added up the other bits and bobs you've mentioned but considering the good reviews the guy on eBay has, can't beat it.

I'm very excited. :D

Clem said:
Supertramp said:
Just been working out the costs of going either through Eurocarb or Alfa1790.
Everything together from Eurocarb comes at £916, whereas from Alfa + buying the CB kit is £601, big difference.
That extra £300 pays for the VS exhaust...

I think I've got that right, unless I'm missing something.

The difference when I did mine was the reason I did it like that. Theres really no hassle to buying the bits seperately and like you say, the saving is substantial. The carbs from Italy really are perfect and delivered very quickly.

+1

Same here, really good quality & condition & he jetted them pretty close already.

I had them set up on Rolling Road & mains changed for £90 all in.

Ive always used a standard mechanical fuel pump with no issues.
The coil mount is a tidy easy fix and about £15(?) but you could fix it yourself for pretty much free. I think the vacuum pulse thing was about £20. I have drum brakes so no servo take off required. The fuel hoses and fittings were maybe £20 all in, and like Mr Brightside, I had it rolling roaded for peace of mind, but it was all pretty good out of the box. I'd probably fit a Buttys Bits throttle kit at the same time.
Loads more power and better fuel economy - whats not to like? 8)

Clem said:
Ive always used a standard mechanical fuel pump with no issues.
The coil mount is a tidy easy fix and about £15(?) but you could fix it yourself for pretty much free. I think the vacuum pulse thing was about £20. I have drum brakes so no servo take off required. The fuel hoses and fittings were maybe £20 all in, and like Mr Brightside, I had it rolling roaded for peace of mind, but it was all pretty good out of the box. I'd probably fit a Buttys Bits throttle kit at the same time.
Loads more power and better fuel economy - whats not to like? 8)

Just like 'Clem' says, but also consider fitting one of these at the same time you atre doing the work. Made a big difference to my 40's set up and I don't have the benefit of one of Butty's bits kits yet

IMG_2175.320135812_std.JPG

http://www.jbevw.com/products

Would this linkage kit be OK?
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_CB-Manifold-Linkage-Filter-Kit-T1-Offset-IDF-DRLA-HPMX-AC1293125_act_shop.product_pID_21573974.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep, that's the one I'm running, took a bit of tweaking to get right, but runs great now. Don't forget your 5% discount at VWH :)

No, but make sure you get the CSP 10mm hex nuts for the carb manifolds otherwise it is a near possible task. Also look for some stubby spanners on eBay as there is very little room. Finally you can remove the filter stand or cut and bend it upright like I did.

The VS goes on easy but you may need to clearance the engine support bar to allow fitting the the HEs. You will see when you offer it up.

Btw, do NOT use the metal head gaskets, they are shit, use the thick fibre ones that actually seal. Also remember to liberally spray the air filters with the red K&N oil so they work correctly.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

jonboylaw said:
No, but make sure you get the CSP 10mm hex nuts for the carb manifolds otherwise it is a near possible task. Also look for some stubby spanners on eBay as there is very little room. Finally you can remove the filter stand or cut and bend it upright like I did.

The VS goes on easy but you may need to clearance the engine support bar to allow fitting the the HEs. You will see when you offer it up.

Btw, do NOT use the metal head gaskets, they are shit, use the thick fibre ones that actually seal. Also remember to liberally spray the air filters with the red K&N oil so they work correctly.

Thank you for that. Was starting to worry I'd need to take the engine out which doesn't look like a fun task to do in between the rain showers.
Carbs should be here today then need my VS exhaust and linkage and we're away!

Ok I'm about to order the linkage kit and all the bits and bobs but want to make sure I get the right stuff.

rallye dale said:
Other bits are fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel hose , brass t piece, brass connectors to be drilled and tapped into manifold for servo take off and servo hose, fuel pump relay, coil mount

Fuel Pump - Which do I need? Do I not already have a fuel pump?

Pressure Regulator - On Heritage they range from £14 to £78, which one do I need?

Fuel Pump Relay - Check (I think)

Fuel hose - Any better than others?

Brass T Piece - Check

Brass Connectors - Check

Coil Mount - Check

What's a servo take off? I have a servo although it is currently dead, do I need to connect my manifold to the servo immediately or can I do that at a later date? Do I need to connect both manifolds to the servo somehow?

Is there anything else I need other than that listed above?
Want to maybe get it installed next week. :D
Thanking you all!

Huco rotary suction pump, Europe carbs, 2 1/2 psi output. Highly reliable and not too noisy. No regulator needed.
Also consider getting an inertial cutout switch to kill the fuel pump in case of an accident. Buy an old rover one from eBay.

jonboylaw said:
Huco rotary suction pump, Europe carbs, 2 1/2 psi output. Highly reliable and not too noisy. No regulator needed.
Also consider getting an inertial cutout switch to kill the fuel pump in case of an accident. Buy an old rover one from eBay.

Cheers Jon, really helpful. Will order the Huco one from eurocarb now.
Only bit I'm not quite understanding is 'drill and tap' the manifold for the servo, what's that about?

Do you have a brake servo fitted ? If not then no need for vac line.
If fitted then you will need something like a 1/8th or 1/4 BSP barbed fitting and associated tap. Do not bottom out the tap, just tap it enough to get a nice thread. Do this with manifold off and clean thoroughly after.

Latest posts