USB 69 danbury "phill"

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two benders steve

Reaction score
hi ,having been forced to take "phill" off the road a little earlier than planed because I dropped a valve at nearly 7000 rpm at the top end of the track at action last week I thought it would be a good idea to do a running mini restoration thingy on him, the engines out and the heads getting sorted, so i thought I'd start on the body work (you know those little blister that turn into much more ) ! Here's a bit of history "phill" is a 1969 danbury bought from "big rich" of this forum a few years ago , it had had a bit of a resto just before i bought it and has looked ok for the most part , about 2 years ago i had a 2028cc stroker motor built for him which has been great and is capable of running 16 sec 1/4 mile. Over the winter "phill" will have his engine back in a new interior the body work sorted and maybe some other thing done , n joy .steve
phill at taton
DSCF2402.jpg

the dropped valve
DSCF2600.jpg

the "kissed" piston !
DSCF2605.jpg

worst bit of rot !
DSCF2609.jpg

should just need repair no replacement on front arch
DSCF2602.jpg

interior as is at the moment
DSCF2415.jpg

"phill" at the Santa Pod
ClassC_ibs.jpg

more to follow as work progresses . steve

No way! You kept that quiet! :(

Give us a shout if you want any help.
What plans you got for the interior? Pop top maybe?

a up Leon , I will be calling on you and your mig welder soon, dropped valve only happened at the week end ( am guna fit rev limiter) !!! steve

leon said:

whs, if you need a hand steve, and leon wash your mouth out, poptop indeed!

Thanks Ant I may well do , to be honest I think he will stay a tin top, iI don't want the extra weight on the strip or I'll have to build a bigger engine ! Morer pics
left rear corner not as bad as the right
DSCF2613.jpg

the seem on the front arch had a few bubbles but cleaned up well
DSCF2614.jpg

little bit more work done today, you know how it is there's a blister and you pock it and then it goes a bit further ! still at least it will be better when finished,
right outer sill, inner is good thankfully
DSCF2626.jpg

DSCF2629.jpg

DSCF2628.jpg

and i remover the battery tray
DSCF2631.jpg

]

How doin rich ? Your van looks the dogs in the pics you posted, you did the right thing i keeping it. Having started on the body work I couldn't leave the interior out , here are the his new seats , early bay seats with late bay head rests
DSCF2661.jpg

Wow they're cool! I'll try and swing round tomorrow with them panels and welder, and to check progress and the westy.

ant said:
leon said:

whs, if you need a hand steve, and leon wash your mouth out, poptop indeed!

Oi Ant, cheeky boy. How dare you diss the pop top. Just 'cause it's taller than your tinny :lol: :lol:

I also have a pop top westfalia now and the bed along with full width rock on roll ace , p.s it's for sale on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280399024755&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DSCF2663.jpg

DSCF2662.jpg

DSCF2658.jpg

DSCF2651.jpg

just read the first line of the advert...........pmsl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

two benders steve said:
I also have a pop top westfalia now and the bed along with full width rock on roll ace , p.s it's for sale on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280399024755&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DSCF2663.jpg

DSCF2662.jpg

DSCF2658.jpg

DSCF2651.jpg

have put seats in but still unable to decide on the head rests , whether to use early or late bay rests , also have a new valve in my cylinder head so motor can go back together
DSCF2718.jpg

DSCF2706.jpg

DSCF2707.jpg

thought you would say that Leon, and yes your right so i've got early ones up front and sorted door card as well, all very red !
DSCF2749.jpg

DSCF2748.jpg

Latest posts