Vacume advance only distributors

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YingYang

Reaction score
Hi, my 1970 is running with a vac advance only dizzy (the short stumpy ones) and is running, IMHO, a little too hot. I havn't measured the oil temp yet but after a 10 mile drive, I can't hold the dipstick which I allways thought was an indication of a too hot motor. I have trouble starting sometimes after a drive, stop and a soon after start again and have noticed the fuel dissapearing ( I presume evaporating) from the filter in the engine bay. Engine is a HO code single port (66 - 67).
My question is how reliable are these old type dizzy's? and could the engine not be advancing after started (starts and runs okay, allthough slow acceleration) if all it's relying on to advance is the airtight seal on the vac pipe? Would it be wise to change it and for which model? Cheers Shaun.

Hi

The 1600SP had this dissy as standard, as did mine. It does a fine job with a standard carb settup, infact mine was ok with webber ICTs, but it doesnt give enough advance on a tuned engine to produce power at the top end. So if your running a standard 1600SP then ide suggest not to change it but to make sure the timing is cock on, as any 'pinking' will cause the engine to run hot.

Edit: Check your vac diaphram by taking the hose from the vac to the carb at the carb end and suck and hold your tongue over the end to check it holds vacuum.

Just