valves giving grief

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rennie

Reaction score
Have adjusted valves to settings as per warranty spec. Took bus for a spin then checked valves again after leaving overnight only to find the gap on exhaust valve on nos three had opened up to approx 12 thou. Readjusted and tried again and the same thing has happened again. Any ideas please?

whats the history on the heads - it's a little beyond my comfort zone, it could be the valve seat is loose? but going in towards the piston?? sorry I'm guessing
the gap getting bigger could mean the valve is shrinking which I'm sure they don't do!

so the heads should be new..not sure if you're on Vzi? but Mucky Green is Laurie Pettit and an engine god perhaps PM him, or John Walklet 63ragtop....I think Fredster might also be able to help, he's on holiday though....

as I say it's at the limit of my engine knowledge - valve train stuff confuses me at the moment, I assume the adjuster isn't coming loose or the actual rocker assembly?

again sorry I'm guessing [although trying to guess intelligently!]

will ask the chap when she,s in the garage tomorrow. double checked adjuster to make sure she was tight and all was ok

I'm sure the gaps closing is the valves stretching so this is reverse?? have you tried searching - although that's a bit of a pain as it's quite specific and you'd get 3million hits on that search phrase....

i havn,t tried searching cos like you say its a bit hit and miss. i,ll phone beetle barn at st ives and see if he has any ideas if i get no joy tomorrow

Might be worth removing rocker assembly and torquing the head down once again.
6 thou seems quite a lot of 'play' though.

Cheers

James

Latest posts