van floor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advice. I finally purchased some board. Only had to have one cut across the floor. Looking fairly good

20130126_103641_zps7645c93b.jpg

20130126_103719_zpsb2ef4814.jpg

Still not sure how to secure it. In an ideal world id like to bolt it down but worried about to much water getting through ... Any more idears

mine is just loose mate stays there under its own weight , I have screwed bed frame to it too !!

Have you done it in two pieces ie 6 mm then 3 mm the local orange DIY do little quick thread screws about 4 mm, just put a few of the down this stps it bouncing, I also run clear silicone round all the edges this stop wet getting under Neath if there is any spilages, this also helps hold the whole thing down

Grazy said:
mine is just loose mate stays there under its own weight , I have screwed bed frame to it too !!

Likewise - mine just floats as the OG westfalia floor did - though the buddy seat and sink unit bolted to the floor and would have also held it down

I haddent put 3 mm underneath but i now realise that im going to need to cos it bounces. Is that the max depth of the recess underneath ??? Don't won't to purchase another piece that is to thick ! I guess a combination of a few dobs of no more nails and mastic round the edges plus buddy seat etc should do it. The floor is in two sections the smaller under the r n r bed which will hold that bit down so just the larger piece to worry about.

The 6mm goes down with all the cuts to fit around these at fixing on the floor if they are there. The brackets are 6mm the 3mm goes over the whole thing on top to level the whole thing

Sorry guys I'm a bit lost here :? Do you cut the 6mm into slats so it fits into every recess on the floor then put a 3mm in whole sheets over the top? I've just painted my floor and was planning to either put down the foil insulation on the roll or 7mm foam underlay then just put a 9mm ply sheet on top.....is that the wrong way to go?

Cheers

Steve

You don't have the cut the 6mm into slats. The 6mm ply fits on top of the cargofloor as one piece (if ply sheet is big enough) and then you have a level floor over the whole width of the cargofloor to put something on top. If you use the 7mm foam and 9mm ply on top your floor will be 7mm higher then usual.

That's what I make of it. Will be putting in my floor next week with 6mm underlayment and 3mm on top.

016.jpg

if you look at the bit on the left you can see how i have cut the 6mm to go around the heater pipes and other bits and bob look a little to the right thats the 3mm on top with the bar code, i have cut holes in it as i need the mount to hold the buddy seat and the westy bed.

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if people managed to get full sheets of wood, where from and what are the thicknesses required? Appreciate your help, going to fit new floor this weekend :)

Cheers,

J

Many thanks I will give them a call tomorrow :) Is anyone able to confirm flooring thicknesses for the westy please?

Take care

matt-me said:
http://richardrussell.co.uk/product-sheet-plywood/

harlequin has mentioned these guys before, they do all sorts, thicknesses and sizes (ie 10x5 for one piece floor). I know they're not local to everyone but if they do it then there is a likelihood there will be other similar suppliers elesewhere, you've got to find them. These guys supply some smaller timber merchants so it is not always in the merchants interests to let on about companies such as these as they are in competition.

They might know of other suppliers elsewhere..

White wood flooring :mrgreen:
Went straight over the original rubber floor mat.
Used a jigsaw and took my time.
It came out well.

Rich

Phoned Richard Russell, nothing even close to me in Suffolk :( Will keep searching as I really do not want joins on flooring.

Just completed my flooring today :) Treated the cargo floor first to some zinc and paint, then anchor waxed for further protection. 8 x 4 6mm and 9mm WBP sheets bought from B&Q who kindly cut the main sections for me. The jigsaw done the rest and happy with the results. I varnished the top facing layers with interior varnish, but not those touching metal.

Nice one brother. Whats that stuff like for insulation? I have kept my original westy insulation in and plan to have carpet :)

dublicious said:
Nice one brother. Whats that stuff like for insulation? I have kept my original westy insulation in and plan to have carpet :)

I think it's a good cheap option, apparently it's equal to 55mm of polystyrene. People can get a bit obsessive about insulation and soundproofing I think, but I thought it would be worth doing as it only cost about £5 a roll which was enough to do the whole lot. I did the floor and insides of the side panels.

Latest posts