Vintage Car Radio Coversion Help Needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgang

Reaction score
I have seen an old mw/lw radio that could fit in my dash. I fancy having a go at upgrading it and giving it a lead to connect to an mp3 player. Looked on line and found a couple of threads but finding it a bit confusing. Anyone done this and got any advice ?

Does your radio have a DIN socket in the back of it?

I've an old Radiomobile radio (with no DIN input) which I converted to an aux input, but it was several years ago now... I don't remember it being tricky :)

The one I am looking at has no Din in the back. It is mono so will need converting to stereo to work with an mp3 player. This will involve fitting a resistor. I am up for the challenge. Just wondered if anyone had any tips, diagrams that might help

I'd imagine converting it to stereo would be a huge job.

As I've only got one speaker at the front and one at the rear of the car, I kept my Radiomobile as mono. The way I've wired it the mono speakers play both the left and right channels...

The issue isn't trying to change the radio to output stereo, but ensuring your phone/ipod doesn't freak out when you plug it in. I didn't bother on mine, and it seems to work OK, never caused any problems. I always preferred Garfunkel to Simon anyway ;) kidding.

Anyway, here's a few posts on how I did mine. It's dead simple, solder the signal wires of your headphone style lead to the input side of your volume knob, and the earth of your lead to... Earth. Done.

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?p=13685777&highlight=ipod#post13685777

^^ cheers Happy stamps. The pictures really help. Now to get an old radio

Check this out.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=67007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

J & P
:D :D :D

Latest posts