Engine Woes and Help flag Raised!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilly_70

Reaction score
Chaps

So .. not been on in a while .. fell out with my bus and its sat in garage for ages .. Im trying to feel it again but engine issues are just killing it for me.

So here my symptoms .. Can Doctor Earlybay help?

Last year ran bus out to a local festival .. got nearly there and bus started to over rev on its own and feel .. well not right .. only got another mile or so before it cut out and wouldn't start .. suspect it overheated however, I could still hold dip stick comfortably.

Tinkered on site and nursed it home with similar symptoms and stuck it in garage with arse on.

Left a few weeks and messed about with it again and found spark plug on no1 wasn't providing a constant reaction on the timing gun. (hit and miss trigger till I reved it)

Changed plugs and leads, cured timing gun activation issue .. bus felt much better. Took it to shops local to test it and steering box jammed solid in Co Op car park! .. first time on a low loader in 13 years!...

Anyway .. just dug it out to take for MOT (steering box replaced) ..

Left to tick over on drive for 45 mins .. no issues, although engine sounds like its pulsing a little and every now and then revs sound like they drop a little. No over heating just sound ok.

Set off and got less than half a mile and heard a squeal from the engine .. sounded like a dry bearing kind of squeal .. only at tick over .. disappeared when revved.. turned back for home .. just didn't feel right .. noise disappeared by time I got there .. but when I stopped engine speed started increasing on its own .. I touched the accelerator arm and it popped .. not like a misfire just like from the carb i think and revs sank again..

Ive checked, points settings, valves set ok, timing set at 7.5 degrees, compression seems good, set carb as per manual, sprayed wd40 round manifold boots to check for leaks .. Im just lost for :

A. What to do now
B. Inspiration

Standard 1600 engine and carb with vac advance distributor ..

Any guidance would be immensely appreciated .. Of if anyone is nearby and wants to give me their opinion and help Im glad to offer hospitality and beer tokens!

Thanks Guys!

Hilly

PS : a thought .. I have noticed and mentioned before my motor, for the last couple of years has had a strange 'vibration' when you rev it at around 1.5k .. only noticeable from the cab and not from the engine bay .. ran ok with it for a couple of years and not noticeable when driving just sat still and revving .. not sure if its connected.

Latest posts