• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

VW Camper WANTED for around £5000 give or take a few £££

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simo1981

Reaction score
Hi everyone i'm very much new to earlybay.com and the whole VW scene, but have always wanted to do a little bit of touring round the uk in a camper, have gotto the stage in my life where im ready for the adventure :D :D :D . I am after a camper for roughly £5000 on the road, and ideally TAX EXEMPT. I am interested in both tin tops and vans with elevating roofs , prefferably right hand drive but not essential. If you have a van for sale or know of someone who has one for around £5000 then please e mail me at [email protected] or contact me on 07989685524 my name is Lee. I have money waiting now and am willing to drive anywhere in the uk for the right van.

Cheers guys, Lee Simpson

hi lee am selling my camper have a look and see what think http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody out there with any words of advice on buying a camper for around £5000 ish ie. sort of condition i'd expect, year, interior, do's & dont's for my money???? ANY ADVICE greatly appreciated as im new to early bay and the camper scene

PS Campers abroad tend to be so much cheaper abroad ie USA, why is this? and how much does it cost to import etc...????

:D :D :D
Many thanks, Lee from Ramsgate (Kent)

Lee

To be honest 5k isn't going to buy you a lot if you are looking for an earlybay camper, likely to be LHD in reasonable condition but may need work etc. If you find a RHD one for this money I would say its almost certainly going to need work to bring up to a useable standard.

You really need to look at spending approx 7-8.5k to get a good quality camper (pop top westy or similar) but its still likely to be LHD and if you really want a RHD then its likely to be more, good quality RHD campers tend to go for 10K plus.

All these prices refer to early bay window vans.

Regarding your comment about the US, you may see some nice buses on the Samba but by the time you have imported them the bill soon adds up (I know as I'm in the throws of importing a panel van at the moment). Collection from the location in the US to the port is approx $1 a mile and shipping and duty for a single bus is likely to cost in the order of £1800 due to the exchange rate so you are looking at approx £2300 in transport & shipping costs alone.

You then need to prep it for an MOT(change lights etc) so it does add up. I'd also be wary of the Samba as not everyone on there wants to ship outside of the states and there are some scammers on there, they are a bit funny at times.

Hope that helps and I'm sure others will comment as well,

Thanks for your advice greatly appreciated, sounds as is i'll be steering clear of importing one too lol! Puts me in a bit of a pickle then really doesn't it.... :? :? :? Well im having fun looking, there are some lovely campers out there

Lee

At that price, you will need to be an 'enthusiast' - ie you'll probably end up spending quite a bit of time and money gradually going through the van and sorting it out. I'm still 'enjoying' getting mine in reasonable shape and have spent quite a bit of money just on bits & bobs. Nothing wrong with that, but just be aware that spending doesn't stop when you've handed the money over.

The other thing to say is that you can expect prices to go up when the sun starts shining, so if you want one for this year you might have to take a deep breath and dive in soon.

You may get a good solid kombi bang in some z hinges for a bit cheaper, really depends on what you want / dont mind doing...

if its a camper conversion your paying a good wedge for that particular conversion, but if you want the T2 and dont mind not having cupboards and a kitchen etc i'd seriously consider a good Kombi/microbus stick an awning in there and your away cruising the country... 5-6K should get you a good solid dry bus, without the dressy bits, and the paint probably wont be too shiney ..... good hunting thats all part of the fun....

in fact I'm suprised Grahams not pointed you in the direction of his sierra yellow....good to go for the summer with a little work and at under 5K....great base

I have a 70 Riviera Pop Top camper (turret top as westfalia so42) it is solid enough only rust is the battery tray, basically complete, original paint apart from the front nose the rest is original paint, i have not yet shipped it into the UK as the shipping is so expensive so been sat in my buddys yard in Cali, i could do though and i think with an mot i could get the price to £5600,, cheap for what it is but getting married very soon so the extra ££ would be handy as not yet booked a honeymoon :mad0025:
Bus would be ready for collection in Newton Abbot Devon
Will dig out some pics later
Simon 07971827006

Dont want to jump the thread but you said you was collecting the Sink/Cooler unit this week Simon. Tried to ring you and left a message on your machine. Next week it moves from the garage to the garden as i need the room mate.
PM me.

Sounds a very interesting camper simon, soon as you get somepics i would greatly appreciate a post or pm mate
Cheers Lee :D :D :D

Hi, have you checked out my cream and green rhd camper for sale "1968 dormobile for sale" its on early bay for offers over £7K it is very solid underneath, its not perfect but wouldnt take much to get to £10K + van. I am selling due to having plans for a garage conversion :( I know its a bit over your price but it is well worth starting out with a solid van as others have stated as rust can cost mega money to sort. Its not 100% rust free but all major areas are solid and is useable as is, has had loads done to it and would pass a new MOT as is. Find one that is rust free :lol: Check it out n let me know what you think...... good luck with the hunt if not interested :character0066:

Latest posts