Walk through into bench seat...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slammed

Reaction score
How easy is it to turn a walk through bay into a bench seat up front?
Can I just buy the bigger seat and fit it or is it more complicated than that?

:?:

can't see why not, i'm toying with the idea or cutting out my bulk head and fitting another rock and roll bed upi front for my kids to sleep in

dubscum said:
can't see why not, i'm toying with the idea or cutting out my bulk head and fitting another rock and roll bed upi front for my kids to sleep in

Does that mean you'd have a bench seat for sale Ash? :D

its a single driver and a double passager, was going to doctor the og frame and get rid of the rest. if i build or buy from scratch you will be the first to know :mrgreen:

dubscum said:
its a single driver and a double passager, was going to doctor the og frame and get rid of the rest. if i build or buy from scratch you will be the first to know :mrgreen:

Good man, that's what I'm after. 8)

Ole I used to have a seat that bolts in between the seats in a walk thru , Steve GTU on here has it up for sale , check for sale section , See if its any good ??

Grazy said:
Ole I used to have a seat that bolts in between the seats in a walk thru , Steve GTU on here has it up for sale , check for sale section , See if its any good ??

Yeah I've seen that, it looks like it doesn't fit properly and doesn't have a cover so it wouldn't look right. :)

Slammed said:
Grazy said:

Yeah I've seen that, it looks like it doesn't fit properly and doesn't have a cover so it wouldn't look right. :)

Get it covered then lazy ass , It looked ok in mine fella , but if it aint what you are after , :)

Slammed said:
Grazy said:

Must admit I thought that, the angle of the back looks wrong, if it's the bluebird one. (scroll doen the page)

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/Split bay interior.htm

Scuffer 74 on thelatebay.com is looking at fabricating a set of the brackets (the original option versions) and fitting a 2/3 bench or you could get the DC/SC cab set tub end there was one on the samba recently NOS in the UK that way you hook the base in place and its just a matter of fabricating an upper bracket position

This is what I made and it works really well!
IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

100_0837.jpg

If you're lucky, you can get an original one like this -

3510091095_4d10b74704.jpg

I've only ever seen two though and one of them is mine :lol: I'm having this recovered with the old red cover from a Beetle seat so that it matches my red seats.

Sallyandsean, that seat is just what i'm looking for, is it made from sheet steel with strengtheners or is it plywood? How do you attach the cushions? Where did you mount the center seatbelt?

This was my bluebird one

Picture153.jpg

Thought it was a good idea in theory, then once fitted whoever sits there is gonna have the gearstick between their legs making changing gear impossible, so i promply moved it on..........besides it was such a pain having to get out to get in the back :roll:

The bench seat looks cool tho i have to say 8)

Just

My old van was a non walkthrough and its just a a pain, imo. The third seat just isnt big enough for an adult over any distance and even a baby in a seat gets in the way ... especially with the 'space' that a gear change and handbrake needs.

You'll never mount a stock 2/3 seat safely without some relatively irreversable modifications - more than a nice og bus needs/deserves imo.

Yeah, I don't want anything that requires welding, I just like the idea of extar space to spread out when at shows etc.
I think if I don't find a dc front bench seat in the right colours I'll leave it.

I'm certainly not chopping about my bus.

I've not had to chop or weld anything to the actual bus, the bracketry i made up fits to some existing holes that where in the bulkhead already, the upper cross member fits to the OG M501 mounting points.
IIRC Scott wilson has a 1/3 2/3 bench seat arrangement for sale, cant remember if its on here or ebay but worth a PM

dubscum said:

Don't want to sound like a dick but you are aware that the bulk head panels are structural and help hold the rigidity of the van, from what I've heard unless they get strengthened (Like the factory vans with swivels) else where choping them out is a No No.

Latest posts