• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted--front brake calipers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynster

Reaction score
i have a 71 microbus with disc brakes up front and one of the calipers is seized.....does anyone have a spare or does anyone know where i can get a new one from, and do i need a pair? can i rebuild the og one , if so how and what do i need?

cheers for now
steve 8)

I got some calipers for my 71 from Brakes International. I think they're actually crossover ones as they've got a bleed nipple at the bottom as well as top but no matter... They work! From memory they were about £70 a caliper.

You can't buy new ones... But you can get a caliper service kit at the usual places (JK etc) and bring them back to life...

If you are still stuck, PM me as I have a full 71 set up in a box in my garage I was keeping as spares so might be able to help you out chap...

I should say the BI calipers are Budweg refurbs, but they look like new. They've been blasted and plated with some sort of shiny metal.

'71 calipers are 1 year only - the bolts attaching them are different sizes. IIRC from '72 onwards the 2 caliper bolts are the same size (this might be round the other way, but the message is the same)

Tim S said:
I got some calipers for my 71 from Brakes International. I think they're actually crossover ones as they've got a bleed nipple at the bottom as well as top but no matter... They work! From memory they were about £70 a caliper.

second half of 71 added the second bleed nipple.

Shorty said:
You can't buy new ones... But you can get a caliper service kit at the usual places (JK etc) and bring them back to life...

If you are still stuck, PM me as I have a full 71 set up in a box in my garage I was keeping as spares so might be able to help you out chap...

JK have a pair of new calipers specifically designed for the 71 , brand new 209 sheets for both sides ...anyone had any dealings with them?
if i were to rebuild them how do i do it as its something i have`nt done before......calipers are off and ready and i have no clue as to how to move the innards to replace rubber

schofields stock new one but theres a 50 quid core charge.If you`re real stuck i have some on the shelf but they`d be sold as " for rebuild" so youre just as well doing yours or getting some from rik.

anyone?.....how do i move the piston to replace rubber?

G'day ooro,
How did this job end up for you? I am about to tackle the same thing. Any hints would be appreciated.
Ta.

Moving a seized caliper piston is fairly straightforward if you have an air supply - you need to remember to insert a piece of wood so that when the piston releases it doesn't whack into the opposing piston (and mind your fingers!). I'd suggest introducing the air supply from a distance at first!

;)

i went down the route of pumping them with grease and eventually they popped out , now all rebuilt and reinstalled, replaced brake lines and overhauled master cylinder too so just gotta bleed the system and away we go :mrgreen:

Latest posts