• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted! Oil Tempeture dip stick

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The God Bus

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm after an oil temperature dip stick PM if you have one for sale please :D

Cheers Paul

Paul I have one in my garage that snapped. Just needs soldering, you can have it if you want it FOC

Hi,

Dont have one, but i bought this for mine:

savemybug.com

It connects to the original oil light, and will flash when temp too hot, when you look at the unit on the engine, you will see where the metal rod moves in a arc, it will eventually make contact at the top once the engine has got too hot, simples. Mine runs at about the 9 o clock posistion if you look at my pics, and on the long drag up Porlock Hill, which is a steep 25%, in first gear, loaded up westy, mine went up to maybe 10-11 o clock, so hot, but not overheated. As you approach too hot, it will flicker, before eventually staying on, you could of course rig up a bright LED like a shift light for examle to make it easier to see.

Some pictures in my gallery, the last few pages iirc.

Cheers!

Alistair

Ive also got a Gene Berg sender like aogrady describes and i love it for it simple safety.
Vinco (off here) is selling one on VZi i think.

I've just stripped all the gauges out of mine and have an old VDO temp sensing dipstick that came with it. It was originally wired to a VDO gauge (also available if you want it) but I hooked it up to a more modern version. Was never satisfied with the accuracy of it though, so tried the dipstick test and that was more encouraging. Hence ripping it all out.

Anyway, long story short, have a dipstick (+ and - wiring) and the original gauge somewhere, if you're interested.

Jim

Latest posts